Low Blood Pressure Link?

Does anyone know if there's a link between low blood pressure and/or postural hypotension and migraine? I seem to get both of these. Sometimes my BP is as low 95/54 and generally never gets above 110/65 on my home machine*. As well as going light-headed when I stand up my head sometimes thumps like I have headache.

I also have a slow resting pulse: 50 - 62 bpm.

It raises slightly when I have it done it done in the surgery to low-normal (due to 'white coat' syndrome. But the doctor is never concerned about it.

*my husbands BP is always a lot higher than mine on our machine, so it can't be faulty.

Last edited by

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Id be interested to know as I am the same, we have familial migraine and all have low blood pressure !!

• Depending on your age and general state of health, your blood pressure is on the low side of normal. As a health care professional, I would not be concerned. Have you been advised to check your own BP frequently at home?

• I always had low blood pressure and severe migraines in my 20s 30s and 40s. I also used to get dizzy when I stood up quickly or looked up and sometimes even when I turned over in bed. I know they treat low BP in Germany but its considered good to have in the UK! My father also had low BP and severe headaches.

Now I'm in my 60s I think my BP must have normalised as the migraines aren't usually so severe so yes I definitely think there's a connection. Not that anyone seems to care! Perhaps try eating crisps when affected. It used to help me sometimes presumably due to salt raising BP? Good luck!

• Like you I crave salty crisps when my BP is especially low, the practice nurse did suggest I put a tea spoon of salt in my water bottle in the morning... Not as tasty as crisps though!!!

• Been reading this and sounds just like me! I get hormonal migraines. My blood pressure is on the low side -bottom reading usually 65 to 67 at the most and have slow pulse too. I too find salty crisps realy help when thumping head feeling starts. Also find them really good for travel sickness too which I've had since childhood

• I am a migraine sufferer and also have low BP too which was finally, after some 3 years, diagnosed at the National Neurological Hospital in London. I understand that this is a not uncommon feature associated with migraine. As a remedy for this low BP which was also associated with SYNCOPE (fainting) I was prescribed MIDODRENE 2.5mg x 3 daily which appears to be effective in keeping my BP at acceptable levels. I suggest that you get an early referral to a good migraine consultant.

• In reply to joopers, we got the machine to keep an eye on hubby's BP which is on the high side. Of course when I did mine then I realised how low it was. I always knew about the slow pulse bacause I can feel that. I often feel that I'm low in oxygen too (Yawn a lot and get 'air hunger', feel lethargic, get dizzy, and always been a headachy person).

I'm really just trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

I'm a 60 year old female and I don't smoke or drink & eat healthily. I do try and exercise & do Zumba Gold, Swimming, walking & geocaching, but like most migraineurs, I find strenuous exercise can bring on an attack, so it all has to be paced out and fairly gentle.

• I also suffer with low blood pressure generally under 100 systolic and like you although I have seen my GP and the nurse on several occasions due to feeling lightheaded they are not concerned. I suspect that either my migraine is as a consequence of low blood pressure or my low blood pressure is as a consequence of my migraine, I can prove neither but it is refreshing to hear that I am not the only one who has these symptoms

You may also like...