Marathon Running and Race Support
792 members1,508 posts

1st 10k race completed ✅ 3 Parks Challenge 2018

1st 10k race completed ✅ 3 Parks Challenge 2018

After all the trials and tribulations of the last few weeks, I took the plunge and completed my first 10k race. It was local to me and took in 3 national parks. We began going around a rugby pitch surrounded by spectators, I didn’t want to be the last so started off at too fast a pace but thought it didn’t matter as I could sort my pace out once further into the race. How wrong I was!! There were so many hills, some almost vertical and then so many downs that trying to maintain a settled pace was impossible. I pushed through and ran the first half with an elderly gentleman, who I was actually able to have a conversation with, he found me at the end and gave me a hug. At about 8k, I was really struggling but kept going, I could hear the crowd the other side of the trees, so kept pushing. I overtook a lady who was also struggling, she was almost shuffling but I gave her encouragement and once out of the trees and almost to the finish line , we both shouted and encouraged each other over the line. After 2 weeks of no training and a very challenging course, I completed just 2 mins shorts of my pb which I am very chuffed about. No medal for my efforts but cheese, wine and a great t-shirt 😁 See you next year

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Brilliant, well done and a lovely t shirt too....

1 like

Congratulations and what a cool shirt!

1 like

Well done. - that sounds like a tough one! Wear your shirt with pride!🙂

1 like

Yay, well done 😃💪👍🏅

Sounds like a good day out that does. Cheese, wine and a tee shirt. What’s not to like. Those hills will be a distant memory by tomorrow and you’ll be planning your next race 😃

1 like

Well done on keeping going, sounds pretty gruelling!

1 like

Wonderful! Grit, determination, wine, cheese - perfect!! Well done :)

1 like

Thanks all, it was very challenging but bring it on next year, wearing my t-shirt with pride 😁

I like T-shirts. Congratulations!

1 like

You may also like...