Ecotrail Oslo 20K

Ecotrail Oslo 20K

Yesterday my husband and I ran Ecotrail Oslo. This is a combined forest/road race, with distances ranging from 10K to 80K - the longest distance runs all through the northern forests of Oslo. We ran it for the first time last year - running the 18K distance, which clearly had been marked wrong - it was actually 20K. This year we chose the 20K distance, pleased that they had unofficially admitted the mistake.

The first half of the race was a descent from 266 meters above sea level along a river down to the fjord. After two weeks of rain and sleet, conditions were pretty slippery, occasionally treacherous. So by the time we left the forest, I was pretty spent.

Now we were onto pretty familiar terrain for me - the harbour promenade in Oslo. My left leg was starting to act up - something I suspect is related to my hamstrings, which have been bothering me a bit lately. We got sent along a fairly long detour around the BygdΓΈy peninsula. By the time we got out of there, I realized that the distance calculation was seriously off, as I knew that we were 4K from the finish line, and we had just run close to 18K. I had to walk more and more, as my leg kept short circuiting on me for a second or so, but suddenly I came upon a man I had identified as a "competitor" early on in the race. Having a chance to beat him gave me the incentive to run a bit more, and I beat him to the finish line.

The race distance turned out to be 21.4K. So even though it was really difficult, and my longest run was 14K about 6 weeks ago, I guess I should be happy that I managed a half-marathon this early on in the season. And my time? 2:55. Luckily, the tricky terrain means that I'm not to upset about my slow time, and am just happy to have survived!

10 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Wow I would so love to do that, the pic is beautiful. Huge well done, that is a great time too. I know the trail is so tough to run on but so much more of an adventure ... and well done to hubby too πŸ…πŸ†

• Woo hoo! Go you! Great to have a target in your sights. It does help πŸ˜ƒπŸ’ͺπŸƒβ€β™€οΈβœ”οΈπŸ…

• That sounds really tough, but beautiful! Well done on your half marathon, especially in those conditions.

• Great photo - your course sounds fantastic (if not a little challenging!) I did my first HM on roads but I would love to do one on trails at some point. Well done!πŸ™‚

• Sounds and looks beautiful. But I don't envy you the long distance on muddy trails. That's hard work that! Well done for pushing through, and I hope your hammies don't give you too much grief.

• How kind of you to take the time to answer. You must be exhausted!

• That looks quite an adventure!congratulations on your run both of you!😊

• Well done on your accidental half-marathon! Great that you spotted your competitor and it gave you the extra energy boost :D That's a lovely photo too. Congrats on a tough run and I hope your hamstring recovers.

• wow that is so amazing and i love that waterfall.

And i wouldnt say that time was slow especally for the that type of run, be happy sounds fab!

• What a magnificent place to run. I'm sure it is tough but you are tougher πŸ‘ŠπŸ…πŸ™ŒπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒI am really wondering how they can miscalculate that much- with satellites all over... but well done on your accidental trail HM!

You may also like...