NHS Hack ( bast@rds)

Hi Everyone,

Since leaving ICU - I've ended up @GP a few times. Injuries from not being as robust from acute muscle waste & illness from after effects of ICU and having no immune system & CLL. I'm just dipping into another viral infection ( which is inconvient) - apparently my CLL means I am suspetible to viral infection - the reason I am writing is that I was given a great idea by my step- mum - hunt out my discharge letter & notes - just in case I end up in A&E this weekend and hospital systems are still screwed. Good luck everyone

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Miles,

Reading your post reminded me of my first year after discharge and some of the mishaps and comments I had along the way, after 36 years of working in building, I found out after 3 months in ICU the hard way you can't do the same things as before as I managed to fall off a ladder, tripped down the garden steps, plus the usual trip to the GP's with a chest infection, but some of the most amusing were comments at the hospital when returning for appointments in particular when I went for a CT scan the radiographer said "I remember you, you were really ill" and then at a lung function test the doctor looked puzzled as on her computer my oxygen levels appeared far to low so sent me for a blood test straight away which showed slightly raised white blood cell levels, but the best one of all was when I went back to do a talk to the ICU staff, one of the male nurses who I have no memory of said "I've got to shake your hand you look 20 years younger than the last time I saw you" a comment I will never forget.

Bill

• Ha ha ha - I think I might be your cosmic twin. I think weirdly, that because I was in ICU so long - I acclimatised to it. It is a thought isn't it, that the average for a patient being on life support is 3.3days. I was on life support for 70 with a further 20 days in ICU!

I'm starting to realise that changes will have to happen despite my determination for all things to normal service.

• Your entire medical history can be acquired on request, diagnoses, dates, operations, medications, etc.... or so I'm told. I believe there's a small fee for the service like 40 quid or so. (That's if your info' didn't melt down in the meltdown which sounds unlikely.) I keep a file with every last silly piece of paper I'm given, discharge letter, prescriptions, etc., but it's still not what I would call a 'complete' history. Can't blame the NHS, they do their best on the stone age kit they've been working with. To err is human but to get really f#@ked up takes a computer. ;-)

• comadreams - great idea - maybe it's about time we grew up and took responsibility - not expecting the nanny state to hold all our records. You do wonder at timings sometimes - as if NHS isn't under the cosh enough. 😳

• No reason the 'nanny state' shouldn't have all your records, wouldn't be a proper Nanny otherwise would she? ;-) As they say on X Files, 'The truth is out there somewhere.' It's finding it that's the challenge.

You may also like...