Interesting article on the BBC this morning about research done at Addenbrooke Hospital attempting to desensitize those who suffer from peanut allergy.
They have been building up tolerance over a period of time till the point where the children (guinea piglets?) could eat up to 5 peanuts a day.
The full report is on the Lancet Site as a freebee (though you do have to register and login)
One interesting thing to note is that I cannot see anywhere where the point is made that Peanut allergy is not the same as Nut allergy (peanuts are beans, not nuts). It is a common confusion that they are the same thing, even amongst people who actually have an allergy to one or the other.
I had one friend who had a peanut allergy and accidentally ate some nuts in a pudding. Having suffered no reaction, he decided he had magically grown out of his peanut allergy and ate a peanut bar. He was okay, thankfully, but did end up in hospital with a heavily swollen face.