tooth paste

I do not know if any one else has posted this so I am sorry if I am repeating someones elses observations:--- I was checking -a new to me- tooth paste for bicarb and/or alcohol( my mouth hates it!!!) and, I noted that Xanthum gum was listed, some of you have problems with this substance.

I follow the guidlines of only spitting and not rinsing so I definately swallow some paste,

This paste is the 3Dwhite by Oral-B,

I did not check any other pastes

4 Replies

• Xantham gum acts as a laxative if I eat it, but I'm ok with it in toothpaste. I was worried about it to start with, but it's had no effect. I use a really gentle toothpaste from GreenPeople.

Why not rinse if you are worried about it?

• it does not affect me ( thank goodness!) but I was trying to make others aware that it is in some pastes--- some people are very sensitive, I feel really sad for those, as their food choices are dramatically reduced, and as you say it may take something as simple as rinsing to negate the Gums' effect--- if you know the stuff is there in the first place.

• Yes, you need to know if there is gum in the first place! It seems to be appearing in more and more products.

• I have just been diagnosed with CD and I have a problem with most big brand makes of toothpastes and mouthwastes. They make the side of my mouth/lip come up in sores, I can only use basic ranges (Tesco & Sainsbury's). I've tried to understand what this could be but not had not luck!

You may also like...