musicians with aquired neuromusculoskeletal disorder

Hello- I'm looking for musicians who have an acquired FND.

I'll be conducting interviews over the coming months for an article and presentation with musicians (instrumentalists and singers) who have "non-playing-related musculoskeletal disorders", that means an illness (for example: MS, Parkinson's, auto-immune or ataxic disorder, stroke, etc.) that affects their ability control their movements, hence their ability to continue playing (or singing). I'd be grateful for leads.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi,I was diagnosed recently with FND.Firstly it came as functional stroke with all tests clear but obviously I had right side paralysis.Lots of symptoms like burning headaches,spasms in my throat,pain all over my body and other.I am a pianist and because of my weakness in my right hand I can not get back to my job.I hope I will recover and will be able to play again.This is not the first time it's happened to

me.First time in 2013 I nearly recovered and went back to work,unfortunately I have to learn to walk again and train my hand to feel the keys in order to play piano again.Hope this information will be useful to you.

Diana.

• Dear Diana,

thanks for writing and letting me know about your experience. I'll be developing a survey in the coming weeks about musicians with neurological dysfunction. If it's ok with you, I'd like to invite you to participate. In the meantime, I've started a group here to discuss these kinds of issues: facebook.com/musiciansdisease/

You're welcome to join.

All the best,

Heather

• Hello Diana, the research survey is now online: surveymonkey.com/r/QRGJ9NZ. I'd be really grateful for your participation. All the best, Heather

You may also like...