NHS treatment or not?

What are people's thought on the following situation.

I have two children ages 5 and 7 from my previous marriage (my wife died 2.5 years ago in a car accident).

I had a vasectomy 4 years ago and remarried earlier this year. My new wife is a tetraplegic but is able to conceive and have children naturally.

Would we be entitled to ICSI IVF on the NHS? We would only be wanting the one child, so a vasectomy reversal may not be the best approach.

6 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • I am afraid the NHS does not consider couples who have children even if it's from a previous relationship. It does sound unfair as under your circumstances you would like a child with your wife. Wishing you all the best for the future.

  • Sunny skies is right, my husband had a son already when we went through fertility treatment and we were told from day 1 we didn't qualify for financial assistance. There are some clinics that will consider it if the sibling is older than 16 as they are no longer classed as a child. I know some people choose not to declare it, and get away with it, but they would be a decision you have to make.

    Hope it all works out for you.

    If your wife can conceive naturally (the old fashioned way ) you shouldn't have to pay for vasectomy reversal, as your GP will organise that ?

    Best of luck xxx

  • My husband and I were in the same situation. We paid to have the vesectomy reversed. Technically it worked, but his count is quite low. Therefore we are now paying for IVF with ICSI. Either way you will have to pay, my advice having been through it is to go straight to IVF with ICSI. In effect we wasted Β£2700 on a reversal. Best of luck x

  • I don't know for certain but I think the NHS rules on one of you already having children varies from trust to trust. I had IVF on the NHS with my husband who already had two children from his previous marriage. They were fully aware of this and there was never a suggestion that we wouldn't be entitled to treatment. Might be worth finding out the rules in your area.

  • You wouldn't be entitled to help on nhs even if u have children from a previous relationship one of my friends who has infertility issues isn't entitled to help on nhs as her partner has children from previous relationship which to me is unfair I no that if the nhs say you ain't entitled to it you can complain in writing to nice if u don't agree to there decision xx

  • Hi there, I'm not sure where you live but in Scotland there was a review and recommendations that if one partner already has children at home and the other doesn't then they would be included in funded treatment but think this won't happen till 2017. All the very best!x

You may also like...