Balance - the good old days

Age 58 in February 2008 when walking I felt as if the pavement was going up and down, similar to being on the ferry. I sat down. No other symptoms such as spinning head etc. When I got up my balance was unsteady. Hospital visit revealed blood pressure nothing else. Despite daily BP medication, ear tests, brain scans, situation worsened over years. Now diagnosed with functional Dystonia. No tremors or other problems save constant bach & neck rigidity. Neurogical test good! Life is a mystery. Neurologist recommended Zoloft Serotonin) which calms emotions but does nothing for balance issue. Have started daily routine Ti Chi in morning and stretching routine evening. The only place where I feel normal is in bed. Also I sleep deeply and wake late. Getting upright is a daily challenge and standing from sitting an act of courage. Some days just simply bad and others impossible. I have asked two Neurologists and numerous doctors "have you ever had a patient with these symptoms?". Vague answers.

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Hi and welcome to our little band.

Sorry to hear that things are such a struggle for you at the moment but heartened that you are managing to do some exercise... tai chi is supposed to be good for balance so here's hoping that it helps you.

All the best

Ali