Saying hi, and asking for yourexperiences

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone. My husband had a stroke 9 weeks ago and was paralysed on his right side. He has done wonderfully well, and is walking with the aid of a stick and leg splint, but his arm is still not working and he isn't speaking properly. He says odd words like yes, no, bye and sometimes a random word - which we are not sure actually is a word or we just hear it as a word. I know it's early days yet, but does anyone have any encouraging experiences from a similar stroke story please

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi,

As you know, 9 weeks is very early and it sounds like he's dong well. This is a journey fo you both and, in my experience, those small improvements will start to happen daily and each should be celebrated. it just takes time and your support - it can be a frightening place to be for him - confusing and frustrating. At 7 months i have learned to live with a weakened left arm/hand and my speech only goes wonky late at night when tired. It jut needs time.

Hope that helps, and best wishes to you both,

Kate

• Hi dear

Don't worry difficult times come but the good think of time is that it passes just keeps hope for good time he will be fine

• Hi.

I had my Stroke in 1998 at the age off 32.

Sorry but I bet you have already been told that it is "early days"

It sounds like he is doing really well,

I was in Spain when I had my Stroke, we were told all negative things. I managed to knock them all on the head.

My recovery started very fast, all off the negative vibes spured me on. Determination made a big difference in my ongoing recovery.

I was discharged home with no care package, so I found my local "Headway" This transformed my recovery big time.

Following my rehabilitation at a local rehabilitation centre, I was able too return to full time employment.

I had to get another job as my previous job was to far for me to travel too. It was also very stressful as I was in management.

I also returned to driving, all off these were thought impossible from day one. With my desire to return to as much as possible a real life.

Things continued to improve slowly but surely as the months/years went past. Yes I'm still improving even after a few hicups & I'm still having more treatment but "I will be back"

Steve.

You may also like...