What happens to cholesterol when eaten in large quantity ?

Please note that I am talking exclusively about cholesterol and not,about any other lipids. Does this heavy dose of cholesterol taken on a single day OR over a long period of time, cause rise in blood cholesterol ? Is there any difference between blood cholesterol and dietary cholesterol ?

There is a lot of controversy going on about dietary cholesterol, so let us try to understand what happens to dietary cholesterol when consumed and its role in raising blood cholesterol.

Last edited by

37 Replies

• ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/244...

Quote from second article:

" a belated acknowledgment of decades of research showing that dietary cholesterol has little or no effect on the blood cholesterol levels of most people."

Basically, dietary cholesterol has no major relation to serum cholesterol, and we diabetics who follow LCHF diet keep saying this to discomfort of many here. We say this based on medical reports.

Good they stand exposed and had to correct their broken recommendation. Took the "experts" 35 years to agree on one mistake. Surprising!!!

Good to see that in second article, they have realized after 35 years s that Low fat has failed to provide any benefit, so even the 35% fat restriction is relaxed. SFA rant continues. Perhaps another 35 years and even SFA talks will disappear and this whole concept of "healthy" High Carb Low Fat diet will be gone for good as more and more forums on LCHF come up adding to more and more voices against all the broken dietary advises.

But, there will be industry sponsored experts who would love to see cholesterol myth persist, specially the statin drugs and the "Low Fat" food industry sponsored experts. Then there will be lot of lobbying by them using money power.

Even serum cholesterol - CVD/CHD theory is irrelevant.

• Answered indirectly.

Body produces less and less of it. Intelligent system. Here's another one from a source that we love to read:

• Sorry, by mistake I deleted my own comment.

• What happens if we eat much much more cholesterol than that's is required ? Will it get deposited in blood vessels ?

• Is dietary cholesterol un-esterified?

• What do you think ? Or rather when and where does esterification takes place ?

• Your one post gone missing. But I will answer, first of all cholesterol can be absorbed both in esterified and non esterified forms. Second , esterification takes place in the lumen of the gut by Acyl Co A, which is found in gut as well as liver.

Lipoprotein is essential for carriage of cholesterol. unesterified is package on the periphery, while esterified is placed centrally.

So no question of deesterification.

• I'll repost the gist again as on eatingacademy.com by Dr Peter Attia:

Source: eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

3 points from above URL:

(1) Most of the cholesterol we eat is not absorbed and is excreted by our gut (i.e., leaves our body in stool). The reason is it not only has to be de-esterified, but it competes for absorption with the vastly larger amounts of UC supplied by the biliary route.

(2) Re-absorption of the cholesterol we synthesize in our body is the dominant source of the cholesterol in our body. That is, most of the cholesterol in our body was made by our body.

(3) Eating cholesterol has very little impact on the cholesterol levels in your body. This is a fact, not my opinion. Anyone who tells you different is, at best, ignorant of this topic. At worst, they are a deliberate charlatan. Years ago the Canadian Guidelines removed the limitation of dietary cholesterol. The rest of the world, especially the United States, needs to catch up.

if you think he is wrong, you can comment on above URL

• In normal healthy persons there is a very tight regulatory and counter regulatory mechanism to keep blood cholesterol within a range. No need to go into details.

So far so good in healthy person,but what happens that this regulatory mechanism goes wrong and blood cholesterol starts rising ?

• Why does it go wrong? Healthy Diet?

(1) I am a diabetic so not "healthy" by any means. Why doesn't cholesterol shoot up despite eating 2 Eggs a day since ages? This is reproducible in any diabetic on LCHF, unless a hyper-responder.

(2) Why does LIPIDS improve despite SFA as in case 1?

(3) Why do most diabetics on a "healthy diet" end up with Statins sooner than later?

Put alternatively, Does switching from Healthy (HIGH CARB LOW FAT) to LCHF fixes some broken loop as far as LIPIDS go?

• Off the point.A very biased response. Your opinion. No problem.

• It was a series of questions. You don't want to answer no problem :)

• I am pressed for time,so perhaps after several hours,I may be able to come back.😀

• It is seen that you appear to know ultraduo is no other than Anup. Thanks for this revelation.What is your age by the bye.How long you hope to stay alive by following Anup alias ultroduo? You need not respond if you wish not to.

• I am responding because you mentioned my screen-name. If I say ramana42 is venkatarama will that be a revelation or will you just let it pass? BTW, I am neither Anup nor Medfree, though I follow same diet. My doctor told me I have very very low risk for CVD/CHD, so I guess I will live longer without drugs. That said, not even the best of science can predict death.

• I am an answer seeker,there are many things I don't understand . Can you come up with logical answers for the questions raised ?

• This can be a four question research topic for you.

• I already know the prevailing scientific majority's as well as minority's opinion.

I am not a researcher. I am only trying to put things in simple understandable language without any bias, so that some one might benefit from the information. The information ,on the basis of which ,he could take an informed decision.

The things i write is as per my own perception and people has a right to disagree.

• There's no bias in my posts also. I talk based on medical reports (pre- and post-diet changes) and no one answers few pointed questions based on that report.

As for majority versus and minority view, the majority view is also being asked to get in line with minority view if we go by what the advisory body has recommended recently in USA.

Sometimes, financial interests are pushed in a veiled manner and that's why you have world getting sick on a healthy diet.

• Pataliputra

I also feel it is unnecessary worry for you to know what happens to large amount of cholestoral. eaten by our friends there ,I hope you are not eating large quantity of cholesterol I support the advise of type2 All that you need to know is it does not increase serum cholesterol neither it goes into stool. It remains somewhere secretly (since it is the headache of their body to deal with this excess not your head ache)and helps the heart to run like a railway engine and pulls it out of distress should anything go wrong with it. You better relax. Where ignorance is bliss it is folly to be wise is the proverb.

• Can you answer the questions i posted for patliputra?

Read what I have quoted from eatingacademy. It goes out in stool. Even American experts have recommended removing all dietary cholesterol limits in diet and the same recommendation has been passed to the advisory board by a body which has been doing it every five years :)

The link posted in my first reply is posted here:

Well, blood reports do not show that eating SFA and higher cholesterol is a distress. They show body is happy. Sugar levels down, inflammation at general and vascular level down, LIPDS improved ... so where's the distress. In imagination?

See my mental coolness. I don't even get disturbed when some hand out character certificates and indulge in attacking personally here. That's the beauty of this diet -- complete absence of irritability :)

• Mr pataliputra

I apologise for my remark.I respect your feelings

• dear patliputra,

the body can make all the cholesterol we need.no dietary cholesterol is needed at all.[ it does it from dietary fats]

by blood cholesterol - what is meant is circulating cholesterol in blood

not the things in hepatic portal vein.

here in blood-- only lipo proteins - when we talk about cholesterol.

so it happens in liver.

ie, protein lipid welding.

now if liver makes all the cholesterol we need

then what hapens if we eat cholesterol is your question.

"the level of cholesterol already present in your blood can be increased by high consumption of cholesterol and saturated fat in your diet. This increase in dietary cholesterol has been associated with atherosclerosis,"

and later to decreased lumen of arteries helping coronary thrombosis.

the person who goes on preventing indians to learn from right sources is

ignorant of the difference between - cause and risk.

the most fundamental cause in thrombosis is thrombosis itself he does not seem to understand., as the name it self suggests. .the rest is accessories .helpers.!!! there is no confusion among the learned at all. if Americans were wrong why should the IDF suggest the same?

cut piece learning from irresponsible forums is the real trouble with these great 'doctors'

if they turn sensible persons i could have left the forum.

"The average American man eats about 360 milligrams of cholesterol a day................................

The American Heart Association recommends that we limit our average daily cholesterol intake to less than 300 milligrams. Obviously, people with high levels of cholesterol in the blood should take in even less."

"It's possible for some people to eat foods high in cholesterol and still have low blood cholesterol levels. Likewise, it's possible to eat foods low in cholesterol and have a high blood cholesterol level. "

this is the thing that causes a misunderstanding and half learning for a person in the forum

to go on shouting

experience!!!forum ,meta analysis!!!

but then how the world medical bodies should advice?

eat any amount, as you like ,of cholesterol and saturated fats , fats?

foot note .

if we take two table spoons of oil and if that is 90 percent saturated fats then it works out to 27 000milli grams of saturated fats .or 27000ml.

please compare with this causating agent with the 360 milli

mentioned above

[27000 versus 300]

hope you have understood

why the cry about saturated fats.

moreover there is no cholesterol in the plant world.animals compound it from dietary values. see the cow . it eats only grass= zero cholesterol.

hope i have not made mistakes in small calculations, gram ml etc.

good luck

• When I said dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. Actually I meant exogenous ( dietary) and endogenous ( de novo ) cholesterol.

• dear patliputra,

i hope my memory is correct.

85 percent of cholesterol is endogenous

only some 15 percent is from dietary intake.

so cholesterol in blood is the persons ability to produce normally or in excess.

we need not supplement it at all.

when animal based foods are eaten,

it goes in

with out permission.

that is the chain of reasoning.

and hence the limitation.

ie, cholesterol is entirely , almost, an internal business.

we can add to to the calamity

but not reduce the production inside.

the dietary 300 is not a wanted thing

but a an upper limit

because there is no other go,. .

in comparison

the 10 percent protein is a necessary thing and not a limit.

there the limit is 20 and 10 is wanted item

cholesterol- the entire 300 is limit.

good luck

• cholesterol is not available in any plant item even in the fugus kingdom..

that means., anthropoid apes and monkeys do not take cholesterol at all.

humans and the former homoerectus committed a mistake, found a technique called heating , ,to eat meat and cholesterol became his dietary companion.

how can it be natural to man?

it works ok , is something different.i am here, for a moment, just pointing out and not advocating any diet this way.

good luck

• And yet the whole cholesterol scam started by study on rabbits. What a joke. Now it has been suggested by Advisory body (in US of A) to drop all cholesterol restrictions after 35 years of misinformation :)

I know, when the old belief gets shaken it's hard to digest.

SFA misinformation will take another 35 years to be dropped officially. One step at a time :)

Can your theory explain why even after eating 2 eggs (with yolks of course) a day for years together, cholesterol doesn't shoot up in most of the diabetics that follow a low carb high fat diet? 2 eggs is almost 500mg cholesterol from one source alone.

Nope on SFA. LIPIDS have improved with SFA on a low carb high fat diet, except for in case of hyper-responders but that number is small.

• Cholesterol is integr al part of all animal cells. So if it all started with rabbit, as you say,why it is joke ? Just because rabbit is a herbivorous !!

Please note that plant kingdom as such do not posses cholesterol,but a very similar substance called phytosterol . When eaten this phytosterol competes with cholesterol for absorption.

• Please Google around. You will get answers.

• Answer , to what ?

• To your question on cholesterol fed rabbit trials.

• We debate central theme ,not accessories or peripherals.

• I am sorry. At first glance I failed to grasp the satire,about rabbit.

• Indiacratus, i fully understand, what you are driving at. You will accept the fact that Cholesterol is vital for life.

So before humans became hunter-gatherers, he was only gatherer, depending on plant kingdom,which contains no Cholesterol. So from where this cholesterol came. True body recycles and manufactures to meet its needs.

But recycled cholesterol is not enough to meet daily requirements over a period.

So body must get it from any other source plant diet being deficient in cholesterol.

so,consider other sources from where body can get its cholesterol, apart from recycled one.

Indiacratus you are a well read person ,so must remember Acetyl Co A. You will find it in the metabolic pathway of all three macronutrient,carb, fat and protein.

Do i have to say more?Body can manufacture cholesterol from all those three .

So be it a Ape or Monkey, there is never a scarcity of cholesterol, whatever his diet may be.

• dear patliputra ,

yes you are right.

from either of p,f, or carbs acetyl coA

and from it acetoacetyl coA

and from the combination of the two

cholesterol can be manufactured.

degradation and recycling is usual and universal inside the body but all that will require energy and most of it comes from carbs.

from fats to energy is many more steps than

from carbs to energy.

thats why they say roughly 50 percent from carbs.many other things too.

people who fancy that they are devoid of medicines ....have no scientific basis for that.

unless of course if medicine is not devoid of side effects.insulin has no side effects.it is from inside us that it returns to us through the recombinant technology.

my telling that humans made a mistake in

heating food is just a statement only.

with out heating food,

the race could have never spread all over the planet.

from any of all the three macronutrients protein , carbs and fats the body can build acetyl coA

see picture.

you se from tthe picture below site for cholesterol synthesis the body requires only two chemicals.

but in the picture below the acetoacetyl synthesis is visble

so there are path ways leading to cholesterol synthesis within the body.

cholesterol is a foreigner though enough is often built inside.

good luck.

• the first reference link i gave is not opening properly .

you may find else where.

• Please don't worry ,I have got many references direct from research papers.

You may also like...