I found the following description of the paper on a criterion for starting treatment. However, this criterion seems not to refer Hb and platelet number. Just described ‘worsening of anemia and/or thrombocytopenia as you can see (1). Do anyone know criteria of Hb and the number of platelets to start the treatment? Hb < 11?, platelets < 100 ?
(1) Evidence of progressive marrow failure as manifested by the development of, or worsening
of, anemia and/or thrombocytopenia
(2) Massive (i.e., > 6 cm below the left costal margin) or progressive or symptomatic
(3) Massive nodes (i.e., >10 cm in longest diameter) or progressive or symptomatic
(4) Progressive lymphocytosis with an increase of >50% over a 2-month period, or lymphocyte
doubling time (LDT) of less than 6 months. LDT can be obtained by linear regression
extrapolation of absolute lymphocyte counts (ALC) obtained at intervals of two weeks over
an observation period of 2-3 months; patients with initial blood lymphocyte counts of less
than 30.000/μl may require a longer observation period to determine the LDT. Also, factors
contributing to lymphocytosis or lymphadenopathy other than CLL (e.g., infections) should
(5) Autoimmune anemia and/or thrombocytopenia poorly responsive to corticosteroids or other
standard therapy (see 10.2).
(6) A minimum of any one of the following disease-related symptoms must be present:
(a) Unintentional weight loss ≥ 10% within the previous 6 months.
(b) Significant fatigue (i.e., ECOG PS 2 or worse; cannot work or unable to perform
(c) Fevers of greater than 100.5° F or 38.0° C for 2 or more weeks without other
evidence of infection.
(d) Night sweats for more than 1 month without evidence of infection.