How to interpret a normal LDL/HDL ratio but high LDL and and low HDL levels

Hi! How can I interpret a normal LDL/HDL ratio but high LDL and and low HDL levels. Do I need medication? I am male and 48 y old. My recent tests indicated that the figures are as follow:

Cholesterol 234mg/dl

Triglycerides 160mg/dl

HDL Cholesterol36mg/dl

LDL Cholesterol166mg/dl

LDL/HDL Ratio4.6-

Chol./HDL 6.5-

Thank you in advance!

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Your levels aren't good. Keep your carbohydrate intake between 10 and 14 portions per day (1 portion = 10g carbohydrate), ideally 3 meals x 4 carb portions. Follow this link uk.sitestat.com/diabetes/we...

Eat low GI carbs, reducing intake of fructose too which glycosylates haemoglobin seven times as much as glucose. Follow this link glycemicindex.com/

Make up the balance of your meals with natural, additive-free, unprocessed protein and fat foods such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, coconut oil, palm oil (not hydrogenated), olive oil, and butter.

• Divide Total by HDL. nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholester... says "Generally, this ratio should be below four" - so if you accept the Lipid Hypothesis, then action is required. I'd start with diet and exercise before resorting to medication... while I agree with Concerned that low GI carbs, reduced intake of fructose and increased natural, additive-free, unprocessed protein are good things, personally I'd go easy on the saturated fats like butter and most cheeses... and I thought there was a reason to avoid coconut but I forget what.

You may also like...