Breath easy courses and classes etc

Hi I am a retired fitness instructor 30 years experience, early retired due to developing severe COPD rather quickly and mercilessly , in my area there are no classes groups etc that help people with respitory problems, I feel I could utilise some of my time in helping others can anyone advise me how I would go about setting up a group, grants etc to help set it up, I live in an area where there are a lot of respitory problems due to being an old mining village and of course other lung related issues, I would like to help others as it is a very frightening and lonely disease as many of us know x

7 Replies

• You could enquire with the BLF as they can help with the set-up providing you go under their 'banner' as it were. The rules may or may not be prohibitive to you so you could just simply start a group yourself. You would need a space where several people could fit comfortably and one which had easy access. If you put your idea to your local respiratory nurse/team I am sure they would be more than happy to give you some pointers. If you pm me, I can give you fuller details of the local group in our area which I co-founded.

• Starting a Breathe Easy group is a little different to just an exercise group chat with BLF breathe easy reps for your region, check out link here also:

If you want only to focus on the fitness side check out BLF Active from this search link:

If you are already qualified there is nothing to stop you hiring a community hall and just charging a minimal fee to cover the cost of the hall hire, insurance etc.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you. Fitness is so important for us all.

• Thanks so much you have been very helpful xx

• Excellent idea and deserves support.

Health and well being boards are now being set up in england. You may wish to contact your local one, via council, and discuss with a view to commisioning your service.

Where are you located?

• Mexborough South Yorkshre Kevin, thanks for replying x

• Hi you would probably have to get a CRB clearance to work with people, particularly vulnerable ones. (CRB = Criminal Records Bureau)

- good luck with your venture.

Kind regards, P from the South!

• Yes you are right thanks x regards from the north the pits lol x

You may also like...