Low blood pressure : Good morning, I’m... - British Heart Fou...

British Heart Foundation

21,540 members14,602 posts

Low blood pressure

Donby75
Donby75

Good morning,

I’m new on here.

I take both Midodrine and Flecanide, long with a beta blocker. I have a pacemaker for a multitude of ablutions, had an AV node ablation but still have atrial flutter. Recently diagnosed and ? Heart failure but waiting on results.

My blood pressure is always low, hence have to take Midodrine.

Does anyone else have this issue of having to be on a beta blocker but taking a pill to increase the blood pressure?

Thanks for your time

Karen

4 Replies
oldestnewest
skid112
skid112Heart Star

Hi Karen,

welcome to the forum. Seems completely at odds with the aim of increasing your blood pressure but they do a little more than just lower blood pressure. If you have a look here bhf.org.uk/heart-matters-ma... may help to explain why

take care

Mark

Donby75
Donby75 in reply to skid112

Thanks Mark, will take a look

MichaelJH
MichaelJHHeart Star

Beta blockers also lower the heart rate. This is why they are a banned drug in sports as they could enhance performance in sports such as shooting or archery. I suspect this is why they were prescribed. They are often used to lower heart rate during a CT angiography as a heart rate of <= 60 is optimal for this.

I have low blood pressure at the mo but high cholesterol so my doc says wen my heart is healthier I should have high blood pressure. I take different medications but I was born with a heart condition.

You may also like...