What do I need to report?: Can anyone advise... - AF Association

AF Association

20,768 members25,485 posts

What do I need to report?


Can anyone advise whether I need to inform my life insurer and/or car insurer that I've had a diagnosis of PAF. I may yet be cured following an ablation but I don't want to fall foul of the law or find I'm not insured if I don't report it. Are my premiums going to be affected given it's not life threatening? My travel insurance tripled because of the anticoagulant.

Thanks in advance.


9 Replies

It is an offence to with hold any information about any relevant health matters and may invalidate your insurance if you do not tell them. Unless you are incapacitated or distracted by AF then you do not currently need to advise DVLA so technically you don't need to tell your car insurers but knowing how they try to crawl out of anything it is best to let them know. Few people have found it changes their premiums.

Paper65 in reply to BobD

Thank you bobD, yes better to be on the safe side I think. I would hate to find I need the insurance only for it to be invalid.

What contract do you have with your life insurance?

Car insurance at least in the states I never told. Since no passing out afib is considered kind and gentle. Heck if I can not get disability why should it affect.car insurance.

On one hand it is so nice on the other everyone wants to dump you. Which is it?

Paper65 in reply to azriverrat

Hi, I am really not sure about the contract....I had not thought about the consequences of this Afib on other things until yesterday. I am going to get it out and look. Think on the safe side I need to tell them as I don't want the insurance to be invalid. Thank you.


Hi T

Most life insurance contracts are underwritten at the date you take them out, by all means check with them, but usually any changes after the date of the policy are irrelevant.

But that's not true of holiday or car insurance where you are obliged in the contract to tell them of any changes, or you can invalidate the insurance. I have told my insurer and I have no loading whatsoever.

Be well


Paper65 in reply to Beancounter

Okay, thank you.....holiday insurance aware and I will ring my other insurers on Monday.

I have advised car insurance and have no loading. I also advised DVLA and they advised me they have written to my GP. No restrictions on my driving.

Paper65 in reply to Beehive1

Thank you, that is reassuring.

As Bob says, currently the advice from DVLA is that you don't need to advise them about af. I informed my car insurer about it and they said as long as DVLA didn't need to be told then they were ok with it. It was a different story with the CRT-D pacemaker. I had to advise DVLA and have a medical. The upshot of that is, I am no longer allowed to drive any vehicle over 3.5 tonne max gross weight. Bit of a pest since my car plus fully loaded trailer would be 4.8 tonnes. Although I am still allowed to drive my tractor plus trailer, that fully loaded would be 12 tonnes.

Travel insurance is horrendous, it was going to be around £900 for me to go to visit my son in Canada. He has informed me that there is a scheme in Canada where one of the insurers will provide insurance for relatives visiting their family in Canada, for around $40 per week, even with my cardio history, so going for a couple of weeks would only be $80.

On a brighter note, I got an enhanced pension because of my medical history, although that was 9 years ago. With the current financial situation, pension providers might not be so keen to do that now.


You may also like...