Log in
AF Association
14,960 members17,921 posts

Have you had a mini stroke or minor stroke?

Researchers at the University of Birmingham, UK are interested in the long term impact of mini-stroke (aka transient ischaemic attack: TIA) and minor stroke.

To help design a research study, they want to hear about people’s experience of life after mini-stroke.

The study will involve attending a focus group (group discussion) in Birmingham (UK) with between 6-10 people who have also experienced a TIA or minor stroke. The focus group will last between 2-3 hours. The topics we will discuss include: experiences of TIA and follow-up care and key areas for future research. We will record the discussion for research purposes.

If you are interested please e mail r.harris@heartrhythmalliance.org giving brief details of your experience and permission to pass on your contact details to the researchers at the University of Birmingham

7 Replies

Unfortunately, been there and done it!! If I can help please make contact.



That would be wonderful. Could you kindly e mail me at r.harris@heartrhythmalliance.org giving brief details of your experience and permission to pass on your contact details to the researchers at the University of Birmingham.

Regards - Rachel - AF Association Patient Services.


Yes Rachel, have emailed you with a copy I had created possibly 3years ago - therapy!!!



Hi Mags, Unfortunately it has not arrived in my email inbox. Could you ensure you have sent it to r.harris@heartrhythmalliance.org (I find copying and pasting best sometimes)

Thanks - Rachel



(Created this say 2013)

Do hope you can understand all the waffling on that goes with my experience - all part of the therapy!!

To put you in the picture to the build up to TIA .

Saw my Cardiolgist at Manchester Royal Infirmary December 2012 and he felt the time had come to take me off Amiodarone but at the same time keep me on Asprin 75mg twice daily.

28.2.12 Tachycardia started, daughter rushed me to hospital - just about lost conciousness through this. Was stabilised and sent back home.

17.4.12 Tachycardia again neighbour took me to hospital, once again felt as though I was 'going out'. After a while admistered bisoprolol and reverted to Sinus rythm and suggested I needed anitcoagulation again until expediating cardiology appointment at Machester Royal Infirmary.

26.4.12 began with a very normal day for me. Had a friend Ann staying with me. The day started very well, preparing daily porridge for myself and Ann (who was taking a shower). At this time everything seemed to be going well, but not now looking back on hind-sight, it was not.

Firstly the porridge boiled over the top of the pan (I took it very light-hearted), served it in bowls - spilt this whilst carrying to dining-room table. Then, as I am aware now - typical sign - lost control of bowels.

Day continues, having a shower, then planning to meet up with walking friends for a long stroll around one of the local beauty spot reservoir. Ann at this point was totally oblivious to what was 'going on' with me plus myself. She was driving to the meeting point. I was giving directions, poor Ann, she drove backwards and forwards on the main road due to my complete confusions. By the time we arrived - walking friends must have given up on us! So Ann and I did a smaller walk then meeting up with everyone later.

Pam the leader of the group and also a retired nurse (thank goodness) took one glimpse at me, told me to look into her eyes, which I laughed and also to squeeze her hands tight. Un-be-known to me she was extremely concerned. Told Ann to get me to hospital immediately. But I stil could not see what the problem was!!

Said to Ann we must call at Sainsburys to buy something for tea - don't think she could still grasp what was going on. I just felt as though I was walking around the supermarket in a daze.

Eventually we arrived at A & E Ann indicated to medics of what Pam, the leader had stated to her. They noticed I was not able to follow simple commands plus slight slurred speach. Immediately I was wheeled along for a CT Scan which showed Right-frontal infarct. Was admitted to hospital - but as far as I could see things were fine in every way and was taking the whole situation very light-heartedly.

The following day had an MRI Scan, so frightening, the noise inside the scan was truly unbearable and scaring something I shall never forget. This showed out as Ischaemic infarct.

For the first 48hrs was kept under constant nursing supervision - they were excellent. Plus Occupational Therapy were checking my lucidness, question after question, brain draining is what it felt like. Had to ask visitors if I was coming up with the correct answer! Plus stair climbing, walking and completing basic kitchen skills. The kitchen skills I found very frustrating as normally I like to get things done very quickly (no messing around)!!!

A few days later I was told that there would be another MRI - so apprehensive, frightening following the first one. Thankfully and greatly relieved a lot easier and plus I was now ready to go home. So many conflicting reports re medication ie back on Amiodarone and Warfarin. My Cardiologist telephoned daughter in Nottingham to hear what had happened to me during the past week. Should this happen - breakdown in communication between different hospitals??!!.

Was so tired and at home and everything seemed to slow down for me - 6 weeks went by and thankfully was able to drive - Life again!!

There are now times when I am aware of the effects of a TIA. Crossing the road can be very difficult also am not able to cope with stress plus need to 'pace' myself more. Found life could be very tearful - re death. So finally got to grips, arranged my own funeral/epilogue service (even the music), gave one to each of my sons and daughters.

Life is now wonderful, but following the TIA vowed I would never say 'I am fine' - just 'not too bad and things are good'.

Also would I still be here but for Pam and her actions, a very caring friend.

Thank you Pam!!!!

Just to add, thankfully as Pam would have stated - "I am a Heavenly Reject"!!!

Also thankfully and humbly, must say that there has not been any long lasting signs in any shape or form.


For people who've had a TIA a three hour discussion might be OK. Just having had a low grade posterior circulation stroke, travelling to Birmingham - I'm now partially sighted with minor memory loss - and a three hour discussion will be too much. However, can I suggest that we submit our experiences by email and enter into a Q and A. It strikes me that the Uni might not appreciate the conseqences of "low grade" strokes.


Thank you for your comments and interest. At present, they are specifically looking for people who have had a TIA and would be willing to travel to Birmingham for the discussion. However, if they do request information from other sources, or perhaps for a different study we will be in touch by posting on the forum.

Regards - Rachel - AF Association Patient Services


You may also like...