I was diagnosed with afib just over a year ago. After the initial shock of getting the news I tried so hard to put it at the back of my mind and get on with my life which involves a lot of hiking and biking activities, other than a lot of wind and a dull numb feeling on my left side generally life was good. The meds were working without any real noticeable side effects, as the year past in September last year my meds were reduced and I was taken off warfarin and told to take aspirin 175 mg a day. Which I now know is useless.
Slowly my confidence came back and we booked an holiday in Portugal for may. But now I think I will cancel the holiday as the last three weeks I have been totally light headed and dizzy and on a bike ride two weeks ago I wasn’t feeling well at the start, after 15 miles my heart rate went erratic slow then jumping up to an 100 bpm I carry on for another ten miles where I met my wife .we had booked into an hotel spa for the weekend but decided to make our way to the hospital. The nurse took my blood pressure and mutter something about a missed beat which I was also experiencing on the bike ride I was then given an e c g which the doctor told me was perfect? But seconds before I took my pulse and it was still not right?? He then examines me fully and told me to carry on with my week end break which my wife and I did with no other problems. I did ask him what am I to do if I have another attack as I am not on warfarin. He didn’t seem to concerned. Just said you are not that old and you are healthy just leave it for a few hours to see if it calms down. He even said I don’t know why you are taking flecanide??
A couple of days later after returning home I was woken up with an erratic pulse which frighten the life out of me it lasted 20 minutes but now I am so worrying and I cant think of anything else but having another attack from morning to night. And the thought of having an attack while abroad as put me off going. I am so tired of all the inconsistencies I have seen two cardiologists and five doctors all with different ideas. I just would like a plan of action. I was wondering if there would be any point in going private? And how long and how bad as it got to be before I can be considered for an ablation. As I also suffer from crohns and worry about the meds effecting it. Sorry for the rant but to say I am desperate is an understatement. dont get to see the cardiologist until november