My AF in some context
is as follows. I am persistent/ lone AF with a background in extreme and endurance sports.
AF diagnosed after ECG
18 April 2013
8 Sept 2013
Slipped back into AF after 5 months in sinus rhythm
9 January 2014
Successfully Cardioverted again but decided against cardiologist recommendation to take Flecanide after cardioversion.
16 January 2014
Reverted back into AF after one week
20 January 2014
Went into Hospital on GP recommendation to see if I could be medically (Flecanide) cardioverted and be given a pill in the pocket if I reverted back again. Kept in overnight as my blood count was high.
21 January 2014
Saw consultant/cardiologist who said I had not had a heart attack (high enzyme blood count) much to my relief. Discussed my AF and he said he did not think Flecanide cardioversion would work and was not recommending it. He advised I could live with the AF untreated until I get my ablation, or go for another electro cardio version but recommended that I take the anti arrhythmic Amiodarone before cardio version and after. I agreed for cardio version but wanted to consider whether I wanted to take Amiodarone and need to decide soon and start taking the drug?
Interesting that my Cardiologist had recommended cardioversion with Flecanide and this cardiologist at the same hospital recommended a different drug in Amiodarone with a cardioversion!
So to my question and decision, do I take Amiodarone to help me stay in sinus rhythm longer with my next planned cardio version; or do I steer clear of the risks associated with the drug and carry on as now knowing that if I go back into AF after the cardio version as inevitably I will at some point I'm not overly symptomatic and have a resting heart rate below 80. In AF I go out running or cycling good distances every second day and don't want to jeopardise that well being by taking such a powerful drug?
I suppose what would swing it for me to take Amiodarone is knowing that it would be safer then staying or going into AF again.
Does staying in AF do damage to the heart and is my heart at less risk of damage if I take Amiodarone.
Your experience and knowledge in making this decision will be much appreciated.