Advanced Prostate Cancer
4,552 members4,402 posts

my PSA has helium in it! ! !

my PSA has helium in it! ! !

"if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..."....LOL.

61, Pca at 57, Stage 4 at 60,

I just got my most recent PSA from online...(I see the Oncologist in a few hours) but, alas, it went up AGAIN. This after a year on Lupron, six sessions of Chemo ending in February of this year. It went down slowly until the chemo ended...and now has begun it's gentle climb back up...from 1.1 (the lowest my PSA has gone PERIOD since starting treatment 4 + years ago) just after Chemo ended...to 1.83 on last test...and now ...today....Voila 2.4

I'm being thankful that's it not higher. Every time I get mine checked I have myself geared up the be "thankful" for what is really NOT good news. NOW, when I see the Oncologist, I'm hoping to NOT have to start any additional treatments --Cassodex, Xytiga(or something like that)--for about 3 more months~~ so that I can get a planned 3-week holiday. to Europe in late August over with at the same energy level I am at now with just Lupron. It's bad enough....LOL.

Oh, well, I will hear what the learned Doctor says in about 4 hours.

Life Is Beautiful!

15 Replies
oldestnewest

Best of luck for your upcoming doctor visit. I’m going to say a prayer that your PSA will go back down, and that you’ll get the break you need for your upcoming Europe trip. Holiday to you, vacation to us in the USA.

Keep the faith, brother! Life really is beautiful.

2 likes

Funny...I am U.S. also🙄....but always call extended trips holidays! Thanks and good luck back to you!😁

1 like

You’ll have a greatjohn plan very soon. And the trip is a great plan.💕

1 like

Hang in there, try to enjoy life, and have a great holiday!

2 likes

Funny, at my last oncology visit, I was happy my PSA was up “only” 60 points, but I used to feel like you—watching every tenth of a point.

Tell your doctor how important this trip is to you. He/she should be able to work it out.

4 likes

Good Luck John. Seems we are in the same exact boat. I went on Wednesday and mine jumped from 1.99 to 2.74 in two weeks. Joy! That might answer your concerns about the Lupron, (Ha!) Let us know what the MO says.

1 like

In the waiting room right now awaiting their pearls of wisdom😁

1 like

Provenge time?

2 likes

Mine did the same thing after Chemo. I only lasted 3 months on Casodex before failure. I have been on Zytiga for over a year and have traveled the world. When traveling you have much more energy than you would have at home. All in all it is not a bad next drug. I have not really had any significant side effects the PRED will help with energy and appetite. My only side effect I blame on the PRED is weight gain which I also blame on my feet nephropathy from the chemo. If you do change it up and you feel tired in the morning take it in the evening. The only issue is a empty stomach so first think in the morning or 2 hours after the last solid food. Good luck and have a fabulous vacation. Post some pictures it makes all of us happy when one of us has a good time. Bon Voyage!

Didn't turn out as I expected. Whole different treatment. Will post it soon. Gonna be interesting.

John

Let us know what the doc says.

1 like

Just posted my new adventure.....not what I was expecting!

Ask about Zytiga and enjoy the trip the PSA ,APC will tag along anyway so live your life and tell us all about the trip when you return. Leo

1 like

My understanding is that PSA is also produced in the mammary glands, so removal of the prostate may be a dubious procedure for some.

1 like

Hang in there buddy, thankfulness is a great thing. Attitude is a big part of it. A rollercoaster for sure!

2 likes

You may also like...