Advanced Prostate Cancer
4,862 members4,619 posts

Is anyone practicing Yoga?

Hi. I've practiced walking and sitting meditation most days since college; about thirty years. But now, I feel I need something else; something different without going extreme. I thought yoga might be helpful for flexibility, strength support and stress reduction. Also, when I was starting out in prostate cancer work, the then head of MSKCC urology (now deceased) Dr Fair, was a yoga enthusiast and encouraged his patients to practice. (He was also an early supporter of Malecare). Mostly, though, I just want something I can do with my body indoors at 5AM without waking up the rest of my family. I don't have much time to take classes so I am looking at online classes....all seem so different. Any suggestions?

11 Replies
oldestnewest

I don't do much yogi but I have practiced Tai chi and Pencak Silat for many years. It helps greatly relieving stress.

1 like

Yes, I do Yoga a couple times a week if I can. I find it is not only good for the mindfulness and breathing, but complementary to weights and other exercise. I like Vinyasa Yoga, which is doing different poses in a flow/sequence and not holding any one pose too long. I find I am more motivated to go to a class with a good instructor to lead me through a routine. It also helps that there are some smokin' hot women there. Even with T less than 6, I can appreciate that.

I recommend finding a good studio with a teacher you like and trying it out a few times until you get a routine/flow that you like then you can practice on your own at home with periodic visits to the studio.

Josh

2 likes

I've done yoga, sometimes regularly, sometimes not. Lately not as my workout time is devoted to weight training.

I would caution against doing this at home, at least not until a decent yoga instructor tells you that you know the postures well enough to practice on your own.

It's quite possible to hurt yourself doing yoga - the stretches are intense. If you are doing a posture wrong the chance of injury goes way, way up. So start with an instructor you trust

You know me - GET A SECOND OPINION - in this case try a session with 2 or 3 different instructors. Most of them offer the first session at a discount or even free.

Gentle stretching is fine, but I find the real benefit of yoga is the meditation and focus that goes along with the intense postures. It clears your mind the way a good sitting meditation will.

1 like

I'm in a Yoga clinical study right now. Unfortunately, I got standard of care so I can't do Yoga until 8 weeks post surgery. But for being a part of the study, I can have lifetime yoga at 10 studios in my area that focuses on pelvic floor to help with incontinence and ED issues. I will definitely try it once I hit my 8 weeks post surgery.

I will post results when study is complete (but only ~50% through enrollment period, so it will be a while).

1 like

Yes yoga is good if you can handle it -I used to do it and very beneficial if includes meditation

I now practice medical Qigong based on the teachings of Master Tan in Kuala Lumpur -his centre is Wellness medical Qigong and I also visit him every 3 months for energy healing-also on Xtandi but my current PSA is undetectable after 13 years

1 like

May I ask how long u have been taking Xtandi and what your dose pattern for this drug has been, over these years?

Also, what other meds and supplements you may be taking?

I have be

en practicing Hatha Yoga for years. I took some classes. and developed a routine that I do first thing in the morning to relax my mind and body. There are some websites with videos in the net. Just search for Hatha Yoga. I have done a quick search and came up with these.

yogajournal.com/yoga-101/ty...

isha.sadhguru.org/yoga/yoga...

I have not found a site that shows the gentle positions that I practice. I do some searching a get back to you.

1 like

You might checkout gaia.com for home use....you can choose the intensity levels and have many directed meditations.....I find it useful...

1 like

Darryl, Often the yoga in studios today is for young people, which is fast paced. You can pickup a set of yoga cds or dvds at a used book store or thrift for barely anything. You can get a nice mat and do this at home, in your back yard, wherever..

The most important thing is your focus. You can do little and with intention go very deeply.

I love yoga...

1 like

I do tai chi and chi gong. Good stuff

1 like

My husband started yoga after his Pca dx. He is soo happy both mentally and physically. He is more calm now. I think the teacher makes difference. His teacher is always giving information about yoga phlosophy while working. He is enjoying it. I suggest you found some place and start asap.

1 like

You may also like...