What to expect from audiology?

Hi there, I've got my 1st audiology appointment next Monday to get fitted for a hearing aid, the letter says it's to take ear mold impressions. Just wondering what to expect? I'll obviously tell them about the tinnitus, can I ask them questions about my otosclerosis and about the tinnitus? I'm utterly clueless! Thank you in advance xx

7 Replies

  • Yes they will ask you about your ears and maybe do a hearing test so can set your hearing aids or maybe do that when your molds have been made...

    They will also see you after to see if they are helping ok.

    As you have tinnitus you would benefit from a duel purpose hearing aid that has both amplification and white noise setting.....lots of love Glynis

  • Thank you Glynis. I did have a hearing test during my 1st ent appointment back in September, Wonder if this will be recent enough? Showed a severe hearing loss in the tinnitus effected ear, nothing has changed except that the hearing in my other ear is a bit up and down, its most peculiar.

    Of course I'll tell them about that. So the NHS do issue the noise generator hearing aids then? I wasn't sure, like I said clueless!! I've also got lots of questions about my otosclerosis, my ent consultant didn't really explain what it is, will it be ok to ask audiology about this? Thank you-Bev

  • Yes they have the duel purpose ones,I have them on the NHS and two maskers also.otosclerosis is a problem with your tiny bones in your ear so your hearing is not as good.

    Some people have them replaced with made one's if become damaged or just removed.

    My son had to have his removed age 7 but can still hear out of it and hearing in that ear is about 40db but copes fine without a hearing aid.

    He is now 21....lots of love glynis

  • I would ask what you want to ask and have any concerns about.. You don't want to leave anything unasked. And you will have peace of mind.

    Good luck.

  • Thank you Jen. Hope this evening finds you doing ok. Bev

  • Not too bad thanks.


  • Hello and welcome.

    Audiologists are experienced in managing many hearing related conditions so should be able to answer your questions on otosclerosis as well as tinnitus.

    Over on our website, we have a couple of pages which you might find particularly helpful:

    Otosclerosis: tinnitus.org.uk/otosclerosis

    Tinnitus services (mentions what happens when you go to Audiology/ENT): tinnitus.org.uk/tinnitus-se...

    If you have any questions, I'm sure people here would be happy to help, or the BTA helpline is available Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm on 0800 018 0527.

You may also like...