๐ŸŒฑPearl Barley Salad๐ŸŒฑ: Hi everyone, I... - Vegan Foods for Life

Vegan Foods for Life

898 members โ€ข 1,434 posts

๐ŸŒฑPearl Barley Salad๐ŸŒฑ

Agoodenough profile image
AgoodenoughAdministrator
โ€ข15 Replies

Hi everyone, I made this pearl barley salad this evening for the first time to have with some vegetable fritters.

Itโ€™s pearl barley, fresh basil, cucumber, tomatoes, juice of one lemon and toasted pine nuts.

I loved it and will definately be making another variation of it. I love the chewy texture and prefer it to a rice salad.

Enjoy your evening ๐Ÿ™‚

Ali ๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒฑ

15 Replies
โ€ข
Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersAdministrator

Looks lovely Ali, you certainly know how to make a salad look really delicious ๐Ÿ˜Š

AgoodenoughAdministrator in reply to Kitten-whiskers

Thanks Debs ๐Ÿ˜ I love salads ๐Ÿ˜‹

Kitten-whiskers profile image
Kitten-whiskersAdministrator in reply to Agoodenough

๐Ÿ˜Š unfortantly I can not have pearl barley, but could replace it with quinoa ๐Ÿ˜Š

AgoodenoughAdministrator in reply to Kitten-whiskers

Yes that would be a good option ๐Ÿ‘

Looks lovely ๐ŸŒฑ I made a casserole last week with pearl barley and thought Iโ€™d undercooked the Barley but now understand that maybe it should have a bit of a bite to it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

AgoodenoughAdministrator in reply to Bridget007

Hi, thank you. Yes it does have some substance to it. I boiled it and then left it with the lid on for about an hour. I remember my mum used to put it in soup. I went to a vegan cafe last week and had it there as part of a salad for the first time so had to give it a go myself. I think in the cafe they did it with rosemary and lemon ๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒฑ

Sounds and looks lovely Ali. Have you ever tried the grain freekah ? I buy mine from Holland and Barratt. It has a nice nutty chewy texture.

AgoodenoughAdministrator in reply to Jens58

Hi Jens58 no I havenโ€™t but I will do. You reminded me that a nutritionist told be a couple of years ago about it. Itโ€™s an ancient grain isnโ€™t it. Iโ€™ll buy some. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒฑ

It is and very tasty !

I really love barley ...

Ooh Ali that looks and sounds lovely. Pine nuts are something I have been thinking of buying.

Looking at your post reminded me of my dad as he loved barley.

Alicia :) xx

AgoodenoughAdministrator in reply to

Aw thatโ€™s nice. My mum puts it in soup so it reminds me of her! Iโ€™ve never bothered much with it as I thought it took so long to cook but now Iโ€™ve got a taste for it. Just as well as I bought 6 bags in bulk lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

in reply to Agoodenough

Aww that's lovely as well. Hmm, 6 bags, glad you like it ha ha๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃxx

AgoodenoughAdministrator in reply to

I know, what am I like. I donโ€™t do things by halves! ๐Ÿ™„

in reply to Agoodenough

And why not๐Ÿ˜‰

You may also like...