Has anyone with Hashimotos benefited from a Vegan diet?

Hi

After struggling with this disease, a couple of my friends (who do not have any chronic diseases btw) are trying to get me to switch to a vegan diet.

I have cravings for all the wrong foods all the time and eat them along with healthy things. Cant imagine not eating meat/ chocolate etc!

Could a vegan diet be a cure???

Flutegal

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I am a veggie, and have been for years but it has made no difference to my thyroid condition (well not that I can see anyway). I have recently gone " Wheat Free" which has made a big difference. My stomach has reduced and I seem to have more energy and if it wasn;t for the fact that my thyroid meds have been messed up recently I think I would be loosing weight.

A craving for chocolate could indicate low B12 - have you had this tested? Going vegan is a huge step and not one to be taken lightly, you really need a lot of commitment to be a vegan, and thats coming from a veggie.lol.

Moggie x

• I have been a vegetarian for 47 years and have hashis!. I am not sure that becoming vegan would help you. Nevertheless you should be eating a healthy diet and much research indicates that a gluten free diet does help hashi sufferers. I am struggling with this but am trying. I also use supplements vis: Selinium, B12 and a Multi Vitamin.

Hope this helps.....

• There are ethical reasons for being vegan, and we should probably be eating more fruit and vegetables than we do.

However, I think meat is such a highly concentrated source of nutrition that it is not always the best idea to cut it out. It can be hard to find enough good quality protein on a vegan diet, and that's counterproductive if you're struggling with health problems.

Cutting out gluten and reducing sugar have helped me.

I have often heard that chocolate craving is a sign of magnesium deficiency (rather than B12).

• When I became vegetarian, my Hashi's started to accelerate down-hill rapidly. I think it was the worse thing I ever did for my health - except perhaps starting to drink soya milk because a dietician told me it was a health food!

Hypos need more protein than the average and it is hard to get enough decent protein when you don't eat meat. If you don't eat eggs or cheese either, it would be very, very difficult. I, personally, wouldn't recommend it.

Don't forget you are genetically programmed to eat meat. There are certain amino acids in meat that the body needs. By all means eat more fruit and veg but don't forget that a lot of them are goitrogenic and may do you more harm than good.

Hugs, Grey

• Today's article by Chris Kresser might offer good reasons not to go vegan :

Red Meat: It Does a Body Good!

Beef. It’s what’s for (a healthy) dinner.

chriskresser.com/red-meat-i...

• I have had hashimoto for 8 years that I know and have gained 149 pounds. I was a vegetarian my Whole life, docs put me on 800 calorie diets and even phentermine and the weight just kept going up. Finally decided to go vegan and I've lost 58 pounds so far, 38 since January 1st. I just found out about gluten and started gluten free with the vegan today. My meat eating friend Went gluten free and hasn't lost a pound. I Went vegan for the animals and am reaping the bemefits, I also lift way heavier at the Gym and my recovery time is like nothing...no pain just gain. Plus my energy is through the roof. Veganism Saved my life and the weight is coming off pretty quick and I am not young. Also my hair and nail grow faster, my skin has cleared up, and I get compliments on how bright my eyes are now...never happened before.

• Veganism suits some people (like teddiebear1209) and doesn't suit others. It is not a weight loss diet unless you are trying to lose weight and tailor your diet accordingly. When I was young and healthy I did well as a vegan. It might suit you but it isn't a 'cure' for anything and it's kind of a stressful way to eat unless you make all your own food.

The good news is you can still have chocolate. :-)

• Update...I quit gluten free and am strictly vegan. Down 106 pounds , eat way more calories, still lifting heavier, medicine has been cut in half, 3 nodules disappeared and all I am is vegan. My meat eating friend still gains. My doctor said my body is healing itself with my diet

• I'm been vegan for over 6 months now and gluten free for nearly 2 years as well. Since going vegan TPO and TG antibodies have both reduced to their lowest level. Both below 55. I'm no longer taking any medication. TSH is still high (just over 5) and I have some symptoms but they are manageable and I've even manage to lose some weight. Hoping with more time TSH and antibodies will continue to come down.

Completing eliminating all animal protein seems to be the reason they vegan diet has help. Vegetarian diet isn't the same as a vegan diet. Dairy/Milk is basically liquid animal protein.

• Hi! I see this is an old thread, but thought I'd chime in. I think its worth a try! Stsrt slow, cut meat intake to 3 days a week, then down to 1 meal per day and so on. I indulge in a square of dark chocolate, less sugar but so good! I was diagnosed 6 months ago with Hashimotos and I've found a change in my diet to be successful in managing my symptoms (energy level, libido, weight-loss, acne, swelling and sore joints all significantly helped!). I started a gluten free, dairy free, no processed foods, low sugar, vegitarian (I still eat chicken, but that's the only meat- no fish) eating plan. I switched to almond milk, I eat 2 big salads a day, plenty of nuts, and fruits when I crave something sweet. It has changed my life! Sure I fall off the wagon and binge on donuts now and then, but the bloat comes back with the tiredness and I'm reminded why I changed my habits. I've lost 46lbs, Without changing my daily exercise habits. At 29 I feel like I should have at 19! I'd been sick for so long I felt trapped in my own body. Hope this helps someone- Hashi sisters unite!

• Wow hambonesmom - very inspiring post. I have been so confused on whether to go vegan or not. I have read where going vegan made Hashimoto's worse. Right now I do no milk, mainly egg whites, chicken, turkey and some fish, very little cheese (and thats mainly gluten free fresh mozzarella), filtered waters, lots of green tea, fruits, could do better on the veggies, lots of unsalted nuts and dark chocolate or chocolate for sweet tooth fixes. Want to become a bit more serious about a diet but still am not sure the best option. Doctors just say to find one that helps me drop weight. Gee - that helps (sarcasm). Do you track your food? calories? carbs? sugar? fat? I am in a bit older than you (early 40's) so not sure if age is a factor. Looking to drop 4 dress sizes which is close to the amount you have lost so far. Congrats on your success - you have made me remain interested in learning more.

• I'm curious. Why don't you eat egg yolks? They are the best part of the egg!

I'm also baffled by the "gluten-free mozzarella". How could any kind of cheese have gluten in it?

• I am weaning myself off of eggs so egg whites get me closer to going egg free and even then, I use a limited amount each week. As for gluten free cheese, check out this link:

belgioioso.com/Cheese-Info

I only buy this brand and it has been a pleasure to use on pizzas, salads, etc.