Thyroid UK
100,830 members114,598 posts

Taking Levothyroxine along with citalopram

Hi everybody. Just looking for some advice. I have just been started on citalopram as I’m suffering from really bad anxiety. I am also on 75mg of Levothyroxine which I take first thing in the morning. Would it be ok to take the citalopram and levo at the same time or would it be better to take citalopram at night? Am bit nervous about taking at night as I don’t want it to make my sleeping any worse than it already is! Is anybody on both or got any advice? Thanks.

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Sorry but the last thing you need is citalopram its an antidepressant and hard to get off ...75mcg of levothyroxine is hardly a therapeutic dose ....you need your thyroid treating correctly not ant depressant anti anxiety pills to make you pliant

What are your results for

TSH

FreeT4

FreeT3

Ferritin

Folate

B12

Vitd3

When were you diagnosed ?

How long ha e you been on 75mcg

What other symptoms do you have

4 likes

I am not medically qualified but has your GP tested both your Free T4 and Free T3. Low T3 can cause problems for us.

Do you have a print-out of your most recent blood test results you can post, so that members can comment upon them? Can you tick off any symptoms o n the following link:-

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

This is an excerpt:

"citalopram food

Applies to: Celexa (citalopram)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of citalopram such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with citalopram. Do not use more than the recommended dose of citalopram, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

drugs.com/drug-interactions...

1 like

Totally agree with reallyfedup123. You are more than likely under-medicated and your anxiety/depression is caused by your under-treated hypo. What you need is the correct dose of levo, not antidepressants.

You should never take anything else with thyroid hormone. It should be taken on an empty stomach, at least one hour before eating or drinking anything other than water, and at least two hours before any other medication/supplements - sometime four hours, depending what it is. :)

2 likes

except you can take a vitamin c tablet, which apparently helps absorption

Yes, but we're not there yet. One step at a time. I don't like making things too complicated any sooner than is necessary. :)

1 like

True xx

1 like

I have a slug of pineapple juice with mine 😉

1 like

Anxiety is a symptom of being under medicated

Poor sleep is often due to low vitamin D and/or low FT3

Gluten intolerance can be an issue too, can cause anxiety.

Do you have any recent blood test results and ranges you can add

As others have said, 75mcg is only one step up from a starter dose

For full Thyroid evaluation you need TSH, FT4 and FT3 plus both TPO and TG thyroid antibodies tested. Also extremely important to test vitamin D, folate, ferritin and B12

Low vitamin levels are extremely common, especially if Thyroid antibodies are raised

Recommended on here that all thyroid blood tests should ideally be done as early as possible in morning and fasting. Last Levothyroxine dose should be 24 hours prior to test, (taking delayed dose immediately after blood draw). This gives highest TSH, lowest FT4 and most consistent results. (Patient to patient tip, best not mentioned to GP or phlebotomist)

Is this how you do your tests?

Ask GP to test vitamins and thyroid antibodies if they have not been tested

Private tests are available. Thousands on here forced to do this as NHS often refuses to test FT3 or antibodies or all vitamins

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

Medichecks Thyroid plus ultra vitamin or Blue Horizon Thyroid plus eleven are the most popular choice. DIY finger prick test or option to pay extra for private blood draw. Both companies often have special offers, Medichecks usually have offers on Thursdays, Blue Horizon its more random

If antibodies are high this is Hashimoto's, (also known by medics here in UK more commonly as autoimmune thyroid disease).

About 90% of all hypothyroidism in Uk is due to Hashimoto's.

Low vitamins are especially common with Hashimoto's. Food intolerances are very common too, especially gluten. So it's important to get TPO and TG thyroid antibodies tested at least once .

Link about thyroid blood tests

thyroiduk.org/tuk/testing/t...

Link about antibodies and Hashimoto's

List of hypothyroid symptoms

Daily Vitamin C can help support adrenals and may help improve anxiety too

2 likes

It may be due to incorrect dosage of you thyroid hormone treatment you should check it out. TSH between 0.2 and 0.5; free T3 and free T4 in the top third of the range & no symptoms....like insomnia and anxiety! I’d avoid antidepressants if you can.

1 like

You may also like...