Thyroid UK

Taking levothyroxine

How to take levothyroxine. I am unsure how to get the most from my medication. I work shifts. 3 days on 3 days off. 6am til 6 pm. When working I get up at 4.30am I take tablets then and wait 30 mins before my cuppa. Out of door at 5.20 so have to eat with my cuppa. Is this long enough. I cannot drink or eat then until 9.30. On my days off I obviously don't get up at 4.30. So could be a difference of a few hours over the different shifts. At night ihave a similar problem. I get home at 7 and need to eat and be in bed by 9.45. So cannot take then. Please help. When should I take them????????

2 Replies

For maximum absorption Levothyroxine should be taken with water 1 hour before, or 2 hours after, food and drink, 2 hours away from other medication and supplements, and 4 hours away from calcium, iron, vitamin D supplements, magnesium and oestrogen.

You can take Levothyroxine at any time of day or night as long as you observe the above.

Thank you. So I think for me 2 hours after my tea just before bed time. I'll try that. Thanks again

1 like

You may also like...