Need to reduce levothyroxine to help with type2 diabetes

I have no knowledge of hypothyroidism. I'm looking to reduce my 200mg dose in connection with a low carb diet to help with my type2 diabetes.

Does anyone have any experience with reducing levothyroxine as a sufferer of hypothyroidism?

I tried a very low carb diet which helps my diabetes but became ill with hyperthyroidism symptoms.

I need to reduce my levothyroxine justin time for my new diet to compensate otherwise I'll be ill again.

How long does 100mg levothyroxine take to leave the body?

2 Replies

• Low carb diets will affect your conversion of levo, so your symptoms are probably hypo, not hyper.

• Ickihun,

You may need to check diabetes and thyroid levels when either Metformin or Levothyroxine doses are adjusted as absorption of both can change.

If you are self-adjusting Levothyroxine dose you should do so in 25mcg increments every 6-8 weeks and have a thyroid blood test to check levels 6-8 weeks later. A higher dose of Levothyroxine will wash out 7-8 days after reducing dose.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

You may also like...