Long Term Diarrhoea

Hi, I am now at my wits end as I have suffered with Chronic Diarrhoea for 6 weeks now. There have been no major changes in my life that I can think of that would cause this. I am male, 58 years old, do not smoke, possibly have 1 - 2 glasses of wine a week. My diet is very good. I am extremely careful in what I eat as I suffer from Diverticular Disease. However, I am not sure that is the cause. Obviously being a typical male of a certain age I bury my head in the sand with the hope that it will all go away. But........ this has now got to a stage where I MUST do something about it because on several occasion in the previous two weeks when I have wind, i have followed through..!! Always watery. My quality is massively affected by this now, so any help would be most welcome. Thanks for listening.

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Are you getting this checked by a doctor?

• Hi, yes I'm going tomorrow as I think I can't keep my head buried any longer. Obviously, I think the worst, which is probably why I've done nothing up to now.

Finding blood as well was the tipping point

• Good for tomorrow then, getting it checked is the best thing to do. Don't think the worst or worry might make you feel worse.

I hope you will be OK.

• Thanks JimTom, will pass on what the diagnosis is when I find out

• Ok Dave ☺

• Hi Dave, don't know if this will give you any reassurance but I had blood after lots of trips to the toilet (I was prepping for a colonoscopy). I think you can just become a bit raw and sore and that can cause bleeding. I know you'll not relax until you know for sure but blood doesn't necessarily mean something bad (although I understand your anxiety, I was the same). Good luck, hope it all turns out ok.

• Hi Dave I have had exactly the same happen to me. Having been diagnosed with IBS and after blood and stool tests it looks like I have Inflammatory bowel disease. It may be worth checking out. I'm just glad I know what it is at last. Good luck x

• Thanks very much for the reassurance and comments everyone. Will let you know the outcome later.

• Hi Dave

Can you pinpoint when this started? Had you been away overseas? Any other ideas as to what triggered the onset?

Good luck

Angus

• Hi Angus,

No overseas travel. Started early January 2017 and for the life of me I cannot think of a root cause that could trigger this

• Have you had any extra stress in your life?

• have had a little extra stress yes. Just been referred for another colonoscopy as an urgent case. So I will wait and see what the outcome of that is.

You may also like...