Healthy but still has OHCA

Hi all, i'm about 6 weeks after experiencing a out of hospital cardiac arrest. still coming to terms with everything.

it's a real shock as i'm (was!) very fit 46 yr old. I don't have any trigger factors, i.e never smoked, eat healthily, drink in moderation & exercise all the time.

My Heart attack & CA came whilst i was out cycling but i did have some chest discomfort for about 8-10 days before. the doctors told me it was acid reflux, why wouldn't they considering my level of fitness, no blood pressure or cholesterol problems.

Suggest anyone with chest problems pushes for further investigation. I was extremely lucky to survive. But i have to say i feel like an unfairly treated victim & it still feels like i'm living in a parallel universe with my bikes collecting dust!

Happy to share experiences but remember push for investigation, you know your body and avoid strenuous activity until you have the all clear.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Exact same thing happened to me about 10 months ago. Send away from the emergency room twice with the acid reflux diagnosis. I also was extremely lucky and probably survived because the good physical shape I was in prior to the heart attach. I was in intensive care for a week and came out of the hospital a cripple. The smallest chore was a major ordeal and everything looked very grim. The good news is that slowly you will feel better. Gradually build up your exercise load and chances are that you will be able to get back in n your bike.

• Thanks for the reply. I hope 10 months on you are on your way to a full recovery.

I still can't beleive it at times, i did everything right all my life. Maybe i pushed too hard on bike but that would have only revealed undelying problem earlier & when i was strong & fit enough to survive.

Take care

• It's extremely difficult to rule out other possible causes. I think we all have this view from TV ! Movies of what a HA should look like and it is very rarely correct. Yes you are extremely lucky to still be with us and it takes an age to recover and not think each and avery twinge is another symptom .you can become a cardiac cripple if your not careful. Unfortunately it could be six months before everything settles down.