Hi Since starting on this journey in Nov 2014 I have been taking uncoated Pred except for a period of about a week when my consultant prescribed coated. I took a PPI for about a year but then decided to just protect my stomach with yoghurt as I had already dropped the AA ( dexa scan was fine) and I really wanted to cut down on medication. Don't know if that was foolhardy or not. Since that initial diagnosis of PMR I then,a year ago, developed what my consultant terms as cranial GCA and despite many attempts at reducing and only at 1 mg a month using the DSNS method I have only managed to reduce to 19mg from 21mg ( which had controlled the symptoms initially after diagnosis) in one year. The consultant has now suggested Leflounomide which I started about two weeks ago and that seems to be going well. I have to take this for 8 weeks before attempting any reduction in Pred.
A long introduction I know but now realising I am probably in for the long haul and adding another medication to the mix I began to wonder if I should take coated Pred? The only thing I did find ,however, when I did just test it for about a week was that it didn't seem, in my body anyway,to be as effective; it did take longer I felt to be absorbed and didn't seem "so strong" a dose. I've read recently on here about coated Pred taking longer to be absorbed and sometimes not reaching that initial "peak" that is better for GCA. I have obtained some coated Pred ,with I must say a lot of difficulty, from my GP who stated that they gave no added protection than the uncoated(?!!!) and that even if they prescribed them they would still prescribe a PPI ( she hasn't also picked up that I haven't had a prescription for this for a year). I did smile sweetly and engaged in the broken record technique of I would really like to try them!! Anyway have now got them but am wondering about the wisdom of trying them as I don't want to upset the apple cart or wondering if I should carry on taking the uncoated with just yoghurt or throw the PPI into the mix with the uncoated! I know this has to be my decision at the end of the day and I can I suppose just try the coated ones for a short time, perhaps much earlier than my 6.30/6.45 dose time. Just thought I'd run it by you all for any comments and advice. Thanks a lot Jackie