Just back from my first Rheumy Appt

Just met my consultant Rheumy and he was very good, he was not happy with the way my GP had reduced my preds and had left me for two weeks with high ESR and CRP levels before putting me on preds in the first placeHe has given me a plan and I will be down to 20mgs with any luck in four months, I started on 60mgs Sept and GP reduced to 40 mgs two weeks later and then 30mgs which she then reduced to 22.5 mgs. I am on 25mgs now and will be on this for another two weeks,then the plan starts. I felt so much better after seeing him today ,I think I need to see another GP. I am so glad I found this site and thanks for all the good advice .

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I am so glad you have found a good rheumy. I think the problem is most GPs really know nothing about GCA and may never even have come across it. My GP seems to know nothing about steroids either!! She did admit she was none too good on drugs, frightening.

• Good. Hopefully you now feel more confident on how your treatment is going.

If you're on 25mg now and your Rheumy doesn't expect you to be down to 20mg before 4 months then he's obviously one of the sensible ones and isn't going to rush you into tapering too quickly!

Perhaps you should stay with your GP and let him see the plan from the Rheumy - it may give him a better insight into treating GCA in the future - if you're brave enough that is!

• "She did admit she was none too good on drugs, frightening." Piglette - hope you told her to start doing some homework!!!

As piglette says - it's good when you get a good rheumy! And I'd follow DL's suggestion -education, education, education!!!!!

• I am still waiting to get into my rheumatologist, it's been 4 weeks. current Doc wants me on 25mg feel so washed out. Saddened by how long this is taking.

• I had to wait 14 weeks for an appointment with a rheumy in Bath.

You may also like...