Zoledronic Acid injection yearly

Has anyone had an injection of Zoledronic Acid? I stopped taking Alendronic Acid five months ago after the bad press results reported on this site and elsewhere. The rheumatologist ( a new one) suggested zolendronic acid instead - as an annual injection. I have osteopenia (?=2, I think) and am undecided.

I am 83 and did have a drop attack the other day, with no ill effects (my knees just gave way.)

3 Replies

• Trenny, the osteopenia range is below -1 to -2.5 so you are not very close to the osteoporosis range of lower than -2.5 yet. My last DEXA showed osteopenia at -2.1 but treatment hasn't been suggested for me. However I am off steroids.

In view of the fact that steroids carry a risk of thinning of the bones, It will probably depend on what dose of steroids you are taking at present, or whether you've had a past fracture as to whether you really need treatment such as zolendronic acid.

I presume you are taking Calcium plus Vit D (Calcichew) which is helpful to the bones. However, if you have had a Vit D blood test which shows you to be deficient, then a larger dose of pure Vit D3 will enable more calcium from your diet to be absorbed thus helping your bones.

• Many thanks for your reply, Celtic. I have just found the results of my last dexascan. They were actually -1.4 and -1.0 for left and right femoral necks. But that was two years ago, so will wait until I have had another scan.

I have just reduced to 10mg Pred. by the slow method, after 22 months of GCA.

Yes, I take two calcichew daily. I am on 150mcg Thyroxine also.

I'll ask about a VIT D blood test.

Unless my next bone scan show significent changes I think I'll resist the injections. It reduces the possibility of more side-effects. I had a brain scan the other day and face the probability of yet more medicines for possible parkinson's. Oh Dear!

• Yes, much easier to delay your decision on the treatment pending the results of your next bone scan which hopefully they will agree to repeat for you in the near future. I do hope the brain scan turns out to be nothing to worry about.

You may also like...