Anti IF Antibody Test

This is more a point of interest.

Does anyone know how the test is done these days?

A contact of mine was involved in early testing at the Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead.

There, live animal tissue was used to detect the presence of the antibodies and a fluorescent marker employed to show the reaction.

Apparently this was a highly reliable test.

I wonder what they use to test today, when I hear stories of it having a 50% false negative result.

Any thoughts?

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • In the past a RadioImmunoassay (RIA) was used. Recently an Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay (ELISA) has been used.

This is the latest test: accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_doc...

I have no idea why these tests suffer from so many false positives.

• false positive or false negative? in relation to IFA

could the false negative be because detection of antibodies at low level is problematic so difficult to distinguish between a sample that has none and a sample that has a few?

• Great question and perhaps this is the issue with the newer testing regime.

• D'oh!

Yes, I meant to say false negatives.

• This paper ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/194... uses the latest ELISA assay and looks at results of IFA and GPCA in people with gastric atrophy (as shown by biopsy).

IF antibodies are mainly found in those with GA, low B12 and macrocytic anaemia. Those with low B12 but no anemia were almost the same as those with normal B12. See Figure 3 - researchgate.net/publicatio...

But the GPC antibodies are found equally in all three groups.

The paper suggests that using both tests will give a much better idea as to the presence of PA than either alone.

You may also like...