After radiotherapy for oesophageal cancer

Had 9 wks EOX chemo, then operation to remove all stomach & some of my throat.

Had radiotherapy 5 wks combined with more chemo had to stop the chemo drugs due to nausea & diarrhoea radio was completed Monday just gone. I am in pain, it's gotten worse, I am not able to eat or drink more then a few sips of water without massive pain in my chest. The fact sheet I got given explains it may get worse for 7-10 days before it gets better but I am worried about dehydration. I am already very tired & weak & have a dizzy spell most times when I stand up.

Should I persevere & keep sipping, or should I call the hospital?

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Call the hospital! I would phone the ward sister myself. Hope someone with more experience replies soon, but this is my uninformed response.

• I agree with Seagull . .you must call the hospital or your dedicated G I nurse . That's what they are there for to support and advise you . .I also have had my stomach removed in July so am still having various problems especially with eating . .I ring my G.I.nurse quite a lot and my dietician who are always willing to help . My advice is to get all the help you can . don't delay . ..

• Call the hospital. They will know what to do. Good luck

Haward

• The road will be hard at first and full recovery will take several years. i had stage 3, i had my stomach removed 5 years ago and had pre and post op chemo. It was tough but five years on I am fully healthy and cancer free (although 4 stone lighter but that actually is a benefit !)

best regards

Brian

• I went through something similar--couldn't swallow anything except tiny sips of water due to burning pain in my throat. I had to go in for IV fluids daily and since I didn't know how long it would last I scheduled a surgery to get a feeding tube as a temporary measure. You have to get fluids so I wouldn't hesitate to call to get that daily. It did make all the difference!

• Call the hospital! We are all different and our bodies act differently depending on age, weight etc. I had the same op mine was late stage T4 tumour on the join of the two. Had bad time in hospital 10 days I.C.U. finally got out after 4 weeks surgeon would not let me have the feeding tube out (I weighed under 7 stone) It is really hard in time and good support you will learn to live with your new body. Good Luck!

You may also like...