I'm new round here, been lurking and reading posts, and decided to join up in order to keep up my resolve to never smoke again, not even one drag, nothing, nada, zilch. I gave up smoking for 16 months, from May 2004 to Sept 2005, but thought "oh, it's OK, I can just have one" but ha ha of course I can't. Since then I tried to quit twice more, this time I MEAN it.
My reasons for quitting are:
1. I've got into cycling and find it's easier if I don't smoke
2. I got fed up with having to break off from a cycle ride to have a smoke.
3. I got fed up with the sore throat EVERY morning
4. I got fed up with laughing often leading to a coughing fit
5. Some of those coughing fits meant I had to sit or lie down - scarey!
6. I just cannot be bothered to acomodate smoking into my life, it's too much of a hassle. Having to pop out for a smoke, getting everywhere 10 minutes early to fit in a smoke, asking people to "hang on a tick" while i had a smoke, wasting my lunchbreak at work on smoking, now I go for a walk or go swimming instead.
7. I'm going to be 40 in a year and a half. If I remained a smoker the health risks were getting bigger and bigger.
8. I was getting fed up with the smell of my hands. i didn't realise this until I quit, but now I like that my hands don't smell. I put on nice scented handcream nowdays.
9. I used to be into diets and all that, these days I follow Intuitive Eating. It asks you to rate how food makes your body feel, the idea being if you really listen to your body you will naturally eat a healthy, varied diet. I won't go on about it here, it can be googled. But I was having trouble listening to my body, all it was saying is "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!!"
10 Finally, since I gave up diets my aim hasn't been "slim" but "health". If I were to continue to smoke I would not be honouring that commitment to health at all.
I quit on Sunday June 7th. I used nicotine patches for a week, then decided to go it alone. Last time I gave up I used patches and it worked very well, this time I just felt like it was the right thing to do.
The past almost 2 weeks have felt VERY long. It feel like I gave up 2 months ago, not 2 weeks. I've had cravings pretty much every day. I've eaten a lot of Mars bars, but I'm not worried about weight gain, I know this overeating will settle down and I do quite a bit of exercise anyway. (well, I'm doing the London to Brighton bike ride this Sunday)
I just wanted to pop in, say hello and I did have one question to ask, if that's OK. Since I quit my nose has been quite bloody. I haven't had a nosebleed as such, just blood. Has anyone else encountered this? I realise anything here isn't medical advice, to be honest if I find at 4 weeks quit my nose is the same I'm seeing the doc, but for now just wondered if anyone else had this?
Thanks for reading all and apologies for the long post.