So, Iâ€™d just got to the one month stage and was feeling very smug:D. I wasnâ€™t thinking about cigarettes All The Time anymore, I wasnâ€™t having bad cravings â€“ just occasional times when I thought yes I could quite fancy a fag but I wonâ€™t bother â€“ and I was even thinking about cutting down on the Champix. And then last week I went to France on my first visit as a non-smoker and I have to say I really really struggled. It was the fact that it was warm and sunny and everybody sitting outside at the pavement cafes seemed to be smoking and really enjoying it. Admittedly when you look closely at them you realize that they are either quite old and wrinkly or else seem to be just 12 years old and trying to be cool but ohmygod it smelt wonderful!!! I spent most of my time trying to sit downwind of the smokers enjoying the scent!
But itâ€™s really annoying the way that smokers have practically taken over all the outside spaces there:mad: â€“ in the evenings it was a bit cooler but it was still more romantic to sit outside under patio heaters but you really felt you were sitting in â€œThe Smoking Areaâ€ under false pretences.
On a positive note, I felt a lot more relaxed (or even more relaxed than usual!) because:
1. I wasnâ€™t rushing through the airport baggage hall desperate for a cigarette.
2. I didnâ€™t need to leave the queue at the Car Rental place because I was desperate for a cigarette.
3. I could enjoy the inside of places rather than spending so much time on balconies!
4. I didnâ€™t have to leave my husband on his own in a restaurant with his after-dinner coffee because I was desperate for a cigarette
5. I could go straight from check-in to departures and spend more time in the duty-free rather than standing outside the airport with the other desperadoes.
So, I guess the only way that not smoking is truly easy is to stay in a cold wet wintry county where you have to be totally sad and desperate to want to stand outside and have a fag.
My next challenge will be â€“ How to spend a day sunbathing without wanting to light a cigarette every time you turn over and reapply the lotionâ€¦. Roll on Summer!
One month, one week, two days, 19 hours, 37 minutes and 46 seconds. 1164 cigarettes not smoked, saving Â£291.13. Life saved: 4 days, 1 hour, 0 minutes.
(cannot see how to use the usual 'Team Signature' but we are: :)QuitTeam 14-18 Feb08