Kidney Dialysis
1,071 members384 posts

What are your favorite spring renal friendly recipes?

We'vre finally getting some warmer weather where I live now. Yeah!! But for me this creates a dietary challenge. I really love fresh vegetables but must follow potassium restrictions (2000 mg daily) in my daily diet.

So, what are some of your favorite spring renal-friendly recipes for those of us who must follow a low potassium diet?

Thanks,

Marj

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Well Jay is all about portion size. 1 berry, 1 grape, 1 kale, Get it! Smiling... I am so done with these Diets. Btw its not for me its for my mom. We ate alot of fresh veggies and fruits

now I eat alot without her because stage 4 CKD

Just want you to know I understand. Good luck.

1 like

If we just had veggies with no potassium🐶🐶

That would be great!

1 like

If you have CKD it's not so much about a diet. It's more like a sound, personalized meal plan to stick with to give you a healthy lifestyle to do the things you enjoy by being more responsible in your eating habits. If you are on a diet, and go off it for a meal, a day, or a week or more the worst you may have happen is that you have to purchase bigger sizes of clothing.

For a person with CKD it's more like a meal plan that allows you to live a normal life while making lifestyle changes to stay healthy.

I try to eat the same things but as the seasons' change I switch out fruits and vegetables that are hard to come by with different items that are now in season. This gives me consistency and yet I can change my meals with simple variations. This also prevents me from getting "tired" of eating the same thing all of the time.

1 like

Yeah, that's essentially what I do as well. I do add 1-2 new menu items each season though🐶

Marj

1 like

Have you done a search for "low potassium renal-friendly recipes"? I often find recipes that I can use this way. Also, knowing what you are and are not able to eat helps to adjust other recipes. It is not easy, but it is what we do.

1 like

I really loved the cookbook called “Cooking for David “. A lot of fast easy recipes. Now it’s not so bad if you only have to worry with one diet type; unfortunately I have to consider a renal diet (currently PD) a diabetic diet (steroid induced thanks to failed transplant) , a heart diet (myocardial infarction 5/1/06...it’s what caused my kidney failure), and IBS.... unfortunately, nothing works great for all...so moderation is the key

1 like

I've had to make similar decisions regarding medications but have not run into that with meal plans (yet). If you're interested in sharing an example or two about the major differences between the three I'd like to be able to understand what you have to deal with. Maybe just print a recipe for each and let us see the differences. Whatever you think will be easier. It would be greatly appreciated.

1 like

Basically what is considered good for the kidney, is not necessarily good for diabetes, and vice versa.. Also, throw in IBS - and raw fruit or vegetables can cause me to be in the restroom VERY frequently so....every thing in moderation

1 like

I'm a type II diabetic so combine dietary issues for that with my renal diet restrictions. But my situation isn't as complex as what you're dealing with. Frankly, I can't imagine how you balance everything you're addressing with your diet--it's incredible that you do this!

I've got no struggles with the diabetes management and haven't had for 9-10 years. I'm on no medication for my diabetes and my A1C always cones in between 5.O-5.2

For me by far THE boggest challenge has been the low potassium requirement. I can only eat 1800 mg of potassium daily. I use to eat 5 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit each day. Of course that is no longer possible. I've adjusted; but it's always a struggle as fresh fruits and veggies become much more available during late spring through the summer.

Nevertheless, as you've each said, I follow my dietary restrictions religiously. My kidneys need this support and I feel and function better when I do this--so I'm highly motivated to do what I'm told with all of this🐶

However, I do really miss my veggies🐶

I'm looking online for some low potassium renal friendly recipes and am also checking out some of the other cookbooks mentioned. I'll try a couple of new recipes to add to my spring/summer meal plan. That will keep me on track and somewhat enthused about meals through the summer.

Marj

1 like

You may also like...