Kidney Disease
2,146 members981 posts

Cutting meat from diet

I would love to know, how many people cut out meat from there diet & had their GFR go back up?

17 Replies
oldestnewest

I cut out all red meat almost two years ago after consultation with my RD. I'm limited to 8oz. of protein each day. I don't do eggs, but get my protein from poultry and seafood. My GFR was 35 at the time but has since moved up to a high of 65 but that was just a snapshot of the blood labs at the time. My average has been 48 and I've held that steady over the two years since I knew I had CKD. Keep in mind that protein is not the only way to maintain your GFR at a steady level. Staying hydrated, watching your medications, upping your exercise regimen and being proactive will all help you get the most out of the remaining function your kidneys have.

3 likes

great news & will hope for the same for myself!

Hey Mr. Kidney,

Just curious as to what the would be in grams. My renal dietician gave me a figure to stay at for protein of under 60 grams. How much would that be in ounces or can you transpose it like that? When I use a converter it comes up with 2 ounces... can that be right?

According to my RD there are 7 grams of protein in an ounce of cooked meat (poultry/fish). I hope that helps.

Thanks

Oh that makes more sense

1 ounce equals 28.3495 grams. So 30 grams seems about correct.

I have been on a renal diet, since diagnosed at level 3b, with limit of 6 oz of meat or meat substitute for the day. I eat very little red meat and mostly fish or poultry. My eGFR average has improved.

3 likes

how long did it take to improve after cutting the meat back?

It started within the first year to improve the eGFR. Had a couple of drops in it.

I had stopped eating red meat a long time ago. But now I do not eat much chicken or fish either. I do eat eggs, mostly egg whites. And I eat cheese in moderation.

My GFR has remained stable going up actually a little. But all my lab worked showed improvement.

1 like

Using what Bassetmommer said and compare it to my situation hopefully provides some folks with an example of why a kidney-friendly meal plan must be individualized. I cannot do eggs and the only cheese that works for me is a small amount of Brie. I get my protein mainly from poultry and seafood.

It's so important to meet with a Renal Dietitian and modify any recipe you come across to fit your personal needs and tastes.

Again, this is why I refuse to follow any specific author or group touting one way, and only one way to control CKD.

1 like

I agree Mr Kidney! What works for one may not work for another. I know a lot of people promote a vegan diet for kidneys, but I suffer from iron and B12 deficiencies so that wouldn’t be good for me. I still eat red meat occasionally, but have cut out dairy and gluten as I’ve found I’m intolerant to them. Eating a dairy and gluten free diet with reduced salt and no processed foods/fizzy drinks with plenty of water and fresh veg, and no OTC drugs, etc has raised my GFR.

I agree with those who have written here. Diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. Cut down on sodium (though I never used much), potassium, phosphorous and protein. Numbers improved within 3 months. I also drink more water, exercise more and stopped meds that were harmful. I still do eat a little red meat.

I have been eating red meat (beef & lamb only and no pork) occasionally (once every 10 days) and having poultry or fish on a daily basis. But I have cut out all forms of dairy products, chocolate, coffee & sugar (substituted by honey). But the best result I got was when I reduced (not eliminate) salt (sodium) and started loosing water weight. I also drink 3 to 4 liters of filtered water daily.

I did my last labs and GFR went up 1 point!

I’ve been vegetarian for decades but developed CKD two years ago due to overuse of anti-inflammatory meds (separate issue). My nephrologist thought my diet likely protected me for a great while prior to diagnosis. My protein sources are primarily beans, lentils, seitan, and tofu. My GFR has been stable at Stage 3a.

You may also like...