Bacterial Meningitis and Memory Loss

I almost lost my life 2 years ago due to bacterial meningitis. In a coma and on life support for two weeks and hospitalized for a few months. I had to learn how to walk again, write, pretty much everything. It was really difficult, especially since I am bipolar and have borderline personality disorder. So it has been two years now (35) but my memory is terrible, I am still unable to work, I can barely keep my house and doctors appts in order. I am also recovering from substance abuse issues. Will my memory ever improve? I feel like I will never have a normal life.

5 Replies

• You are probably the only one that can make it better by having a positive attitude. You need proper rest and adequate sleep. I also lost my ability to walk, write, speak clearly and to see clearly. I had a lot of determination and tried to keep a positive attitude. It does take time but...don't give up and don't give in!

• I was 65 when I caught meningitis and septicaemia was in a coma in intensive care for 13 weeks. Had to learn to walk, eat, drink, use the toilet and communicate. I have profound deafness, tinnitus, am permanently off balance and use crutches and a wheelchair. My mobility is improving but the balance will never return. I cannot go out alone and use community transport if theres any places I want to go like Hydrotherapy and the local weavers club in our church. When I ask questions from professional people I get " We dont know everyones different"

Good luck. Hope things turn out better for you.

• I'm sorry to hear of all your struggles. I hope things get better for you and that you have a good support system around you.

• Thank you Rachel watch this space for further info.

• Hi don't give up I still suffer from the same as you with out the substance abuse and I am 10 years post justhe do as much as u can and push forward

I was told I wouldon't not walk again but know walk with crutches and still fall but still get up and carry on all good wishes don't give up

You may also like...