PIP Benefit stopped for Adult with learning difficu... - Mencap


5,114 members1,392 posts

PIP Benefit stopped for Adult with learning difficulties

Johnny58 profile image

Can anyone point me 8n the right direction I have a friend with learning difficulty Who has had his PIP stopped.

6 Replies

Getting doctor help with benefit and school or college or carer letter also

You need to appeal the decision of why was it stopped. There is usually a time frame of 28 days to do this. You need some expert advice to help you do this as it can be quite complicated, citizens advice bureau, Carers Centre in your area. The Mencap helpline on this site would be able to point you in the right direction depending on the area you live in. Good luck

It's been some years since I had the same problems with my daughters Disability Living Allowance when it was changed to PIP and she lost her benefits.

The first thing to do is appeal the decision don't worry at this stage if you don't has all the information you need.

As the other 2 reply's have put ask their Doctor to help and if under the hospital try and get a letter from consultant, also check the job tile or the person who done the assessment, as the person who done my daughters was a physiotherapist so they had little or no knowledge of learning difficulty. Even then they rejected the appeal so we took it to court and she won. All the best

Hello Johnny58

Thanks for posting your question. You will need to talk to someone who understands benefits as it can be a bit complicated.

You, or your friend with your support, can contact the Mencap helpline and they will be able to help. You can call them on 0808 808 1111 or fill in the online form and then they will get back to you - mencap.org.uk/contact/conta...

There are other places who can help with benefits (as mentioned in other posts). Citizen's advice would be able to help, but I know a lot of places are very busy at the moment. But do keep asking and get your friend on waiting list for help.

It would also be a good idea to have a look at any letters that your friend has been sent. These may say why PIP has stopped. They should also have a number you can call to get more help.

If your friend can no longer get PIP then they may be able to apply for other benefits. Here is a webpage with some information about this - mencap.org.uk/advice-and-su... - but I would still recommend talking to someone about this.

Best wishes


Hi Sarah , thank you for the information

He should still recipe his mobility part of his pip.

You may also like...