FLECAINIDE For NSVT?: Hello everyone... - Arrhythmia Alliance

Arrhythmia Alliance
4,933 members1,696 posts

FLECAINIDE For NSVT?

Anrv_23
Anrv_23

Hello everyone,

This my first post here. I am experiencing Vtach for 2 years. I had ablation last September and I was doing okay for 6 months but PVCs came back suddenly. After a Electrophysiologist visit, I was diagnosed with NSVT. I had a second EPS test last month but they couldn’t find anything. I started Sotalol 40 mg but since I am still experiencing arrhythmias my doctor changed it with Flecainide 50 mg. After I read the side effects, I am quite scared and confused. Does anyone use Flecainide for Vtach? Any comments?

Thank you guys,

Stay healthy

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi there,

I’m on Flecainide 50mg twice a day for SVT and ectopics this works well for me . Iv tried others but they never helped .

I didn’t have any side effects.

Like you I was scared to take it , but I couldn’t cope no more and my life was getting effective by all this .

Iv been taking it for 3 months now I started on 50mg upped it as 50 made no difference.

Wish you luck x

I take flecainide daily to avoid afib works a treat so far. no side effect at all for me.

hope things work out well

I take 50 mg flecainide 2x a day for paroxysmal SVT AVNRT. I had a failed ablation (too close to sinus node to proceed) I am still wary of it after three months. I also take nadalol. I've had no episodes since taking it but my serious episodes were sometimes a year apart but over 230bpm. The combination of these drugs and levothyroxine for hypothyroidism make me extremely tired.

Hi, I’ve been on Flecainide for 6 years now after several beta blockers made no difference to my irregular heart beats from the ventricles. Initially on 50mg twice daily but that was soon increased to 100 and I’m relatively well controlled, and grateful for that do I set aside the concerns about side effects. Still get small bursts of arrhythmia but so much better than without the Flecainide.

The potential problem with flecainide causing worse arrhythmias, "pro-arrhythmia" has been very much exaggerated – an increased mortality was found in one study (the "CAST" study in 1989) but the only people who did worse on treatment were people who had more that one previous myocardial infarct (heart attack) and had significantly damaged hearts. This does not apply to the vast majority of people who have arrhythmias.

Anyway the problem was not pro-arrhythmia but acute heart failure in the event of a further myocardial infarct. The study was done before stenting was routinely performed to prevent recurrence of infarcts.

For most arrhythmia patients flecainide is safe and often very effective. It does not work for some kinds of arrhythmia but it's worth trying as it has so few side-effects (compared with e.g. beta blockers and amiodarone) and if it does work it can be taken very effectively as a "pill in the pocket" when needed or as long-term regular treatment (especially for preventing AF).

PS (for those not familiar with the abbreviations) "NSVT" means "Non-Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia" which starts in the ventricles and is different from "SVT" which is "Supra-Ventricular Tachycardia", starting in the atrium.

Thank you so much for your responses. I took my first pill today unfortunately it didn’t go well. After 2 hours taking the med, my heartbeats went up 120-130. I tried to be calm but I start shaking. I called the paramedics, they checked me and said everything is okay besides my strong, regular and fast heart rhythm. I talked with my doctor’s nurse and she suggested to use 25 mg for a week.

I am a 29 old woman otherwise healthy and now feel so anxious and depressed. My psychiatrist prescribed me Prozac 20 mg for my ongoing anxiety but said that it may increase the level or effect of Flecainide. Doctor’s nurse said it is okay to start but I am so doubtful since the symptoms were already frightening for me today.

Again thank you guys for your responses, they remind me that I am not alone in my battle

Hi

Sorry to hear you are struggling, you’re not alone! I have been taking Flecainide for about a year for SVT after failed ablation, I take 100 mg x2 daily. It calms things down; I still get some palpitations but things are much improved with it. I do not have much in the way of side effects. You may need to try it for longer than a couple of hours to get the best effects. Remember to keep doing some exercise if you can. I have had palpitations for nearly 40 years and am still here so you must stay calm, think positive thoughts and just let your heart do it’s thing. It will settle. Best of luck!

James

I take Flecainide 100 mg twice a day, a long with Metoprolol 50 mg twice a day and Verapamil 120 mg once a day. It sucks, poor endurance, get short of breath easily. Still get transient SVTs but not sustained thank God. Followed by an EP, not a great candidate for an ablation.

You may also like...