Hoping to help a relative: Hi, I am... - Gluten Free Guerr...

Gluten Free Guerrillas
9,613 members3,908 posts

Hoping to help a relative

Clarrisa
Clarrisa

Hi, I am convinced a relative has a gluten problem. I saw them yesterday & they looked pale, thin, very tired & worn out. They tested positive at a much earlier date for a wheat allergy. Their doctor apparently convinced them they did not need to worry.

My relative said they had tried gluten free before but it was too much trouble. Perhaps this was after I gave them a prescription to a gluten free magazine that covered food in hopes it would help them.

They now are convinced their problem is eating too much sugar. They want to start with that, reducing sugar first. They work full time & surely have limited time. I’d like to obtain/purchase them a introductory book or pamphlet that sells them on getting further testing, & explains the best way to go about it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Clarrisa

You could look at the Coeliac UK website for some advice. I don’t know what may be available in the US.

Alessio Fasano is a US expert who has produced a book on the subject called Gluten Freedom. His website may give you the advice you need.

Unfortunately the symptoms you describe could be caused by many problems.

Clarrisa
Clarrisa
in reply to Penel

Thank you Penel for your help. My relative has had a colonoscopy previously so a lower G.I. issue is unlikely. As they are relatively young I lean toward the less serious. I will look into Alessio & Fasano, & general healthy gut information now too. Thank you again for your input.

Maybe you could get them to do a diet challenge with you? Cut out sugar, gluten, alcohol, soy and dairy for a month?

I am surprised a doctor said to ignore a test that showed she was allergic to wheat - did the NHS do the test?

Clarrisa
Clarrisa
in reply to Cooper27

Thank you Cooper for your suggestions.

The relative is from a younger generation that knows way more than mine! I will try to locate a book for them that advances all those meal plan ideas, as they do read books.

I am very surprised too their doctor does not pursue further testing (I don’t get this at all). It seems the doctor is part of the problem, because it seems earlier they gave their patient false reassurance.

My relative’s parents think the problem is stress related. Even if they are correct having a unchecked gluten problem certainly will not help matters. As their offspring does not look particularly well to me now I think more is going on.

They may be skipping some meals altogether as they looked thin & pale. They live (tested) in the states. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Cooper27
Cooper27
in reply to Clarrisa

If you want a book recommendation, I thought "eat, nourish, glow" by Amelia Freer was quite a good nutritional book (and it's got a big bit about how to cut sugar out, so you could give it to her under that guise), it also talked about cutting out gluten on a trial basis.

Clarrisa
Clarrisa
in reply to Cooper27

Sounds perfect! Thank you, thank you, I will order it today.

You may also like...