Hot chocolate containing wheat,gluten etc

Just been to Ivybridge (Devon) Tesco cafe, was told by the staff, all of the foods cooked there could be cross contaminated, and when I looked in the Allergen folder I discovered the hot chocolate is red flagged for wheat and gluten and barley and rye and oats....the cafe has large Costco banners so I assume their drinks are the same mixture.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Not worth it.

• Hi patricia here I had the same problem but it was the gravy in a restaurant they said it was gluten free so may be it was but it was cross contamination with other foods in the kitchen so I got glutened it lasted days so be safe & in dought leave it out aero hot chocolate in the shops is gluten free take care patricia

• The staff were very good and pointed out the cross contamination risk, but I wasn't given the allergy folder until I had sat down,,,,,,to my hot chocolate, and they happily replaced it with tea,however they were shocked about the hot chocolate and had it double checked via a manager.

• I'd say never have gravy in a restaurant. It's never going to be gluten free.

• Many instant drinks are not gluten free - they contain barley. When I was first diagnosed I was advised to avoid drinks from one of those machines where someone presses a button - yeah, so that's any where they aren't making it from scratch. Why? Because all the different drinks contaminate each other.

Much chocolate has been contaminated - hence no gluten free label on the packaging.

It's rubbish but it stops us being ill.

• I think I was stunned by the fact that there were apparently 5 things in one drink that could affect us. There are very few places for us to eat safely, my mum thought she was safe ordering a jacket potato with cheese,(different cafe) mentioned she was coeliac and the chef told her that he dips his cheese in flour to make it grate easier! 'Careful' is the watchword

You may also like...