Effect of cross facial nerve animation

Hi, I'm a teenager who's just had the second procedure for facial palsy reanimation, where a muscle from my thigh was inserted into the left side of my face. I had my surgery a week ago and my face looks really swollen up. Like really badly. Worse than before, I actually regret undergoing the surgery. I'm really really worried about this... can anyone please advise me of the process they underwent and how long this took. My docs keep telling me it's okay , I've spent a while crying too but I just want some reassurance from someone who's been through this/is aware of this. I have a secured place at university which I will begin towards September and I'm feeling really anxious. would really appreciate a response from anyone.

6 Replies

• I haven't had this surgery but... L

I would imagine it's still early days and the swelling will go down, my Bell's palsy as left me with my eye closing, watering and nose running every time l eat or drink... wish something could be done about that, l have learned, it's been a year now, that it's your personality that matters and shines through, that people remember

• Hello, this page may help give you some information about what to expect regarding recovery:

Also, there is a group that is not part of the charity on Facebook (although I am one of the admin team on there) which is just for people who had facial palsy in childhood. There are many people in that group who will have been through similar surgeries. It may be worth joining to have a chat on there:

Note that someone will message anyone who requests to join the group to check their reason for wanting to join, this is to ensure it's kept a safe place. Keep an eye on your messages and respond as necessary if you request to join.

It is early days after your surgery and I hope you start to see the swelling go down soon.

• Hi, I had this surgery last year too. I was also shocked over the amount of swelling there was in the first couple of months. It does go down though so try not to worry too much. I was 22 at the time and just started work having just graduated so I know how you feel. Its definitely worth having it done and you wouldn't want to wait another 3 years before undergoing it. I know the timing is not ideal for you but you will be fine. Try and keep positive.

• Hi thank you so much for the response! Feeling quite positive reading this. I have a few questions if you don't mind please. So how long did it take for the swelling to go down (approximately how many months please?) Also did you usually get a pressurised feeling, it's kind of hard to describe...? And lastly are you pleased with result (has it actually helped as in better than before the surgery?)

Apologies for the array of questions but I'm feeling really anxious 😕

• Ermmm I think the majority went down within a couple months but I still had some residual swelling for a few months after that. Yeah I think I got that feeling If i can remember, It still feels slightly different now but I think you get use to it. Yeah my smile is 100% more symmetrical. I need to have a small follow up surgery in a couple of weeks as I've got some scar tethering, so once that's finished I'll get the complete finished result (finally). Hope this helps..

• Thank you ever so much :)

You may also like...