Log in
Epilepsy Action
1,605 members519 posts

Free prescription - repost

If you live in England have epilepsy and take epilepsy medicines, you are entitled to free prescriptions. This is for all your prescription medicines, not just your epilepsy medicines.

But you do need a valid exemption certificate.

To claim free prescriptions, ask your GP or hospital doctor for application form FP92A.This is the application form for a medical exemption certificate. You need to fill in parts 1 and 2. Your hospital doctor, GP or a member of staff at your GP surgery, will sign to confirm that the information you have given is correct. They will then send for an exemption certificate for you. These usually last for five years. It is your responsibility to renew it.

3 Replies

This is a confusing post.

I am based in South Africa. Obviously when one visits the doctor, they get a prescription, but pay a consultation fee. Should one want a free prescription, one can also visit the Govt. Hospital/Clinic and request one from their doctor on duty. One then obviously pays for the prescription medications from a Pharmacy or if the hospital stocks them, one can obtain for free if registered with the Govt. Clinic concerned.

You mention that if you live in England, you are entitled to free prescriptions after obtaining the FP92A Form, but you also mention that this is not just for your epilepsy medications, i.e. are medications free too?

Please clarify for those in England... A confusing post.

Thank you.


People in England who have a medical exemption certificate can get all their prescriptions free, not just their epilepsy medicines. Hope that helps.


Advice and Information Team


Hi Cherry,

Thank you for your response.

Obviously it's different over there i.e. with your NHS System. Free epilepsy medication is only available here through a Government Hospital/Clinic if one is not earning a salary and has no income, such as in my case.

Others pay for all medication from a private pharmacy.