Diabetes India
60,244 members11,183 posts

Is a 6.5% A1c Good Enough for You?

Is a 6.5% A1c Good Enough for You?

By Sysy Morales of The Girl's Guide to Diabetes

February 18th, 2019

The premise that a 6.5% A1c is great for a type 1 diabetic is based on the widespread belief that we simply cannot expect better results than that and still maintain safety from low blood sugars. The truth is that a 6.5% A1c in a non-type 1 diabetic is medically diagnostic criteria for type 2 diabetes. It is well established that type 2 diabetes is detrimental to one’s health, especially in the long term, and probably also in the short-term, though that is more difficult to quantify due to comorbidities.

It’s possible that a type 1 with a 6.5% A1c is different from a type 2 with a 6.5% A1c because the type 1 might be having more blood sugar variability, which the body doesn’t like. The type 2 in many cases has additional metabolic distress in the form of insulin resistance, obesity, high blood pressure, and fatty liver disease which would also make a difference when comparing their 6.5% A1c to that same A1c in type 1. Therefore, there are factors making this a nuanced issue.

Read this interesting article in

diabetesdaily.com/blog/is-a...

3 Replies
oldestnewest

This is a very interesting article on the comparison between type 1 and 2 Diabetics with a 6.5% A1c.

I believe 6.5 is a good number whatever be the the type of diabetes.If one is on insulin,like Type 1 and many Type 2 also,attempting further reduction runs the risk of hypoglycemia when situations like delayed food intake.unusually higher activity etc occur.At 6.5 ,chances of diabetes complications manifesting are quite low,to my knowledge.

1 like

Do you think culture has an influence? I'm thinking that if more attention was paid to eating low-glycaemic, whether this is through portions sizes of food groups or some other method, if this was the norm then type 1s would find it easier to 'fit in'?

The truth is that most people's body only uses between 120g and 160g per day in the form of carbohydrate; the rest is being turned to fat. If type 1s ate this ideal amount, their need for insulin would normalise, their blood glucose control would be easier, and the risk of complications would diminish.

5.8% or lower should be the aim.

You may also like...