British Tinnitus Association
2,093 members1,529 posts

17 year old new sufferer please help

Hi, about 3 days ago I took out my earphones and began to experience ringing in my ears. I still have the ringing but it is not noticeable when out of the house, however in silence it can become overwhelming. The main part that is bugging me is that occasionally I will get dizzy and hear a crunching sound in my ear - I am also more sensitive to sound. Does this sound like tinnitus? If so, how can I prohibit it from getting worse - I have music concerts coming up so can someone recommend good earphones etc. thank you for reading this

13 Replies
oldestnewest

I am not a Dr.but understand that one of symptoms of Menieres disease and vertigo are dizziness...Worth checking it out with your GP...

Carol.

3 likes

I suggest, like Caromia, you visit your GP in the first instance asap.. Don't do anything to your ears or anything else that may aggrevate things before having this check up.

5 likes

It may be something (fairly) simple like BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). From talking to friends who’ve had it, I recall it starts more with dizziness, but your doctor will know. The good news is it’s easy to treat. I hope you find out soon so you can get back to concerts! Let us know if you can and good luck.

2 likes

I'd advise seeing your GP and give the concerts a swerve for now.

2 likes

The crunching sound and dizziness may be due to inflammation or fluid in the ear. Ear infections and congestion can contribute to this condition. My tinnitus started after ear bud caused accoustic trauma. Be careful to listen at minimal volume and use ear plugs at loud concerts

2 likes

Thank you all, I have booked a GP appt today and will let you all know how it goes. Any tips on how to prohibit the tinnitus from getting worse? I have my a levels next year - this couldn’t have happened at a worse time

I have just had a thought the crunching sound may possibly be from the mandibular joint at the side of ear which makes you think it's in the ear..Do you have Bruxism by any chance this is grinding of teeth mainly when sleeping..This could put stress on joint..

Good luck with Dr.

Carol

Hi carol I have just been to the doctor and he informed me that I have wax in my ear and am going to start a course of ear drops ASAP. Hoping this helps

1 like

Oh that's excellent news as now you can stop worrying and concentrate on your study's and exams..

Wishing you good luck.

Carol.

1 like

Glad to hear it, no pun intended! I know BPPV has little crystals, like calcium? And they roll around in there. (That’s what I thought of when you said “crunching” sound...) Glad your doctor is on it. And I hope you can enjoy music 🎶

1 like

Thank you! Hoping that the ear drops work but it should take about a month or two for them to do so - I will keep you all updated. Trying to stay positive about the whole thing as I have anxiety and tinnitus has really accelerated in spite of me only having it for 4 days so far.

It is quite anxiety producing and don’t let anyone tell you you’re bonkers! Your body likes to know where it is in space if you have vertigo, and tinnitus tends to make us feel not well in space too. It’s just my opinion, I’m not a doctor - I just know the weird panicky feeling. Take care.

Hey guys. No improvement 😭 I feel so depressed

You may also like...