Liver biopsy pt3!!

Hello again, just to say I had my liver biopsy today and it went well, uncomfortable but bearable.

I did have some sedation and the nurses with me were wonderful, as the doctors was doing everything, one of them chatted to me the whole time and held my hand. I couldn't stop shaking, but I managed to have to done with out ay problems.

The severity of the pain afterwards was a bit unexpected but eventually when I had to lie on back it eased. I had it done first thing in the morning and was released back to go home at about 6pm. Exhausted but bloody pleased its all done!!

I have now got an appointment in two weeks for a stomach ultrasound, is that normal? Its been ordered by my liver consultant, but I wasn't expecting it.

Also wanted to say how fantastic everybody was on here giving me lots of advice and support. I cannot thank you enough.

Last edited by

7 Replies

  • Thanks for reporting back. I'm so glad you got through the procedure without too much trouble. An abdominal ultrasound is common and extremely easy (and painless!), so nothing to worry about there. Take it easy for a couple of days and let us know the biopsy report when you have it. Congrats!

  • Thank you! Very, very pleased its over now! :) I will keep you updated.

  • Glad to hear it all went well. Ultrasound is a doddle! :)

  • Thank you :)

  • Glad it went well. I didn't like to say before but I've had some horrific biopsies. Probably more than 15 years ago when I was first diagnosed at 27 I went to St Mary's in London for a biopsy. The junior Dr did it in the hospital ward from my bed. No ultra sound or sedative. She attempted to get the liver 3 times before giving up. She then just left me in absolute agony, I've since had a transplant and I know about pain, but this was something else. On a pain scale it was a big 10! I was sweating, grey and felt like I wanted to vomit and wet myself. Worst of all, I was then booked in to have the procedure repeated the next day with ultra sound, and the Dr that performed that procedure commented, saying something along the lines of 'Oh, I can see why you were in pain yesterday'.

    I don't think it's done without ultrasound these days, it was completely unnecessary, and the fact my only pain relief was paracetamol I think now was barbaric.

    15 years later I'm still livid about it. Rant over!

  • I am sorry to hear that, it must have been really, really awful.

    I explained to my doctors that I wouldn't be able to have it done without sedation, even once I had some, I was still shaking, and couldn't keep still, so they had to give me some more. I was lucky, the nurse with me was great, she chatted to me, asked me questions and tried to keep me as calm as possible.

    They did do an ultrasound just before they did the biopsy and they also gave me some strong painkillers just before my sedation to help with the after pain, but it was still awful for the hour I had to lie on my side where it was done, but once I was on my back, it did ease eventually.

    I had to have an endoscopy about 2 years ago (at a different hospital) and was talked about sedation and it was horrendous! Never again! They couldn't do it properly and had to go again, I have never been so distressed, so I knew anything I needed to have done I was demanding sedation!

  • Yes I've had plenty of endoscopies too. Always have the sedation.

You may also like...