British Lung Foundation
38,475 members45,387 posts

FEV1/FVC Improvement!

Hi All,

Not written for a while, I hope everyone is keeping well and breathing easy.

I recently had my second ever lung function test and happy to report that I seem to have made a slight improvement in my FEV1 and FVC stats.

Back in February my results were: - FEV1 2.4ltr (61%) / FVC 2.63ltr

Yesterday my results were: - FEV1 2.65ltr (68%) / FVC 2.82ltr

I am not complaining, but how is it possible that my stats have gone up?

This also puts my FEV1 / FVC ratio at 0.93 - So will above the 0.70 that indicates the presence of obstructive airflow. Although I know I have emphysema as it has shown on a CT scan that I had in October.

Other than that I am keeping well – I have not smoked for a year now and have no mucus or any trouble walking long distances. I only really get breathless when I do strenuous exercise, like running on a treadmill for 5 minutes or longer. etc

Thanks,

George

18 Replies
oldestnewest

Great news u seem to be doing all the right things keep doing what your doing take care xxx

2 likes

Hi this is great so well done. It is very common for your FEV1 to vary by a few points at any given time. This could be because of a mild infection which you weren't aware of in which case it might be a bit lower, or because the reverse is true.

Also exercising teaches your muscles to be more oxygen efficient and this can have an effect too. x

1 like

Hi spirometry results can vary for many reasons. As others have suggested this can be due to a slight infection or even the time of day. I go by how I feel as my own results seem to be different all the time. They go up and down.

1 like

Good Morning George, Well Done, carry on with your way of life, it is being good to you. All my Best Wishes. xxx

1 like

My FEV1 went up too, after years of staying at 69%, to 82% this year, due to healthier living, doing a lot of singing and brisk walking. Keep up the good work.

2 likes

Thats great Ergendl - Do you find, you can breathe better since the increase in your FEV1?

1 like

Yes, I can do a lot more physical activity now without needing to take Ventolin. But I still have it with me, as I do have the restricted breathing at times, and because I also have an asthma component, sometimes I do still get breathless in high humidity as well as perfume and smoke.

Well done xx

1 like

That's so great u are getting fit and able to do more. Improved test results - always welcome news!

2 likes

Well done, keep doing well .

Da

1 like

Well done George I had a gradual increase from 56% to now 70+

2 likes

Thats great Chriskho - Do you find, you can breathe better since the increase in your FEV1?

1 like

Didn’t suffer too much with sob. Just awful chest infections during the winter ( but may be due to a low immune system at moment) shouldn’t brag seeing though I am just getting over pneumonia!

Actually was misdiagnosed NOT pneumonia!🙄

Hi Chriskho I see your increase . Well done but it that your FEV1 or your FEV1/FVC ratio of which ggeorge was referring too? Thanks

Fev1 it’s around 73% at the moment ( with usual inhalers). But without inhalers I suspect it’s around 63%

Thank you Chriskho

That’s wonderful news 🐞

2 likes

You may also like...