Oxygen when sleeping

Hya I have been oxygen for the last couple of months, I am just about getting used to it but I have to wear it no less 16 hrs a day and a big chunk of that is wearing it in bed but a few times I have woken up in the middle of the night and my cannula (I think that's what they are called, little prongs up your nose) has come off so this makes me panic a bit thinking am not getting enough! Has this happened to any of you and if so can it be fixed? xx

Thanks Diane xx

Last edited by

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • There are different sizes/styles of cannula so do ask your oxygen company for an alternative to try.

• Thank you x

• Hi Diane -I'm on 24/7 oxygen and had similar problems !!

I tend to pull the sleeve on the cannula up under my chin at night which helps the tubes stay snug around my ears and firm on my nose which helps the 'prongs' stay in place? I also make sure I have plenty of tube under the covers as the weight of the cover can put a strain on the tubes when your moving about.

Hope this helps

Plumbob X

• Thankyou xx

• You can get little plasters off your oxygen company that will help keep it in place , just ask your engineer when he next visits or phone them and they will put them in the post . Or wear your cannula in a different position

• Thanks mandy will try them suggestions xx

• Hi Diane, I use a mask that does not come off as easily as to your current problem. You can most likely inquire about a mask where you are obtaining your oxygen. Hope that helps. John

• Thanks xx

• Greetings :)

Like Plumbob, I pull the little sleeve right up under my chin, but it can feel a bit strangulatory sometimes. I also put a good amount of tubing on the bed, so that it doesn't pull at the functional end (up my nose). I got a cannula with longer prongs too -- that works. I loathe and detest LTOT but since a lot of the time is spent sleeping, I guess we will all cope. It's better than the alternative, I suspect...

Catnip

• Thanks, last night I did pull it tighter under my chin, more than I usually would, it wasn't uncomfortable and also put some of the tubing under my duvet and I did wake up once in the night and it was still in place as was it when I woke about 8 o'clock in the morning so that's good, yeah I know it can be a hindrance but like you say better than the alternative xx

• hullo Diane,good to hear from u.Try putting micropore tape (just a little) over each plastic cannula which goes into each nostril. Should keep it on.Any sign of soreness on ur face,apply sudocream,and give the tape a rest for couple days..love and hugs Jillyxx

• Thankyou jilly xx

• Mine comes off about 3 times a night I would like to know how we are supposed to know how many hours we have had it on,

You may also like...